The Horry-Georgetown Technical College Area Commission, a nine-member body, is an outstanding group of dedicated, community-minded professionals, individually and collectively committed to advancing higher education at and through Horry-Georgetown Technical College. It is our goal, each day, to provide the policy guidelines and broad-based vision that promote and ensures the success of the College, under the direction of its President, Dr. Marilyn Murphy Fore, and accomplished by the efforts of our wonderfully able team of professional faculty, staff and administrators.
Horry-Georgetown Technical College is a leader in higher education in our area and in the State, and we are proud to be a part of what we're accomplishing for the good of our students, area business, industry and government, and for the citizens as a whole.
Area Commission Members
Commission Chair Mr. Joe T. Branyon, Jr.First appointed by the Governor in 1991.
A resident of Andrews, Mr. Branyon is a Certified Public Accountant and owns the firm Tommy Branyon, CPA.
Vice Chair Ms. Orrie E. WestFirst appointed by the Governor in 1986.
A resident of Surfside Beach, Ms. West is Retired Circuit Public Defender for Horry and Georgetown Counties.
Mr. Fedrick D. CohensFirst appointed by the Governor in 2015.
A resident of Georgetown, Mr. Cohens is the Executive Director, Curriculum and Instruction at Georgetown County School District.
Mr. Brent D. GroomeFirst appointed by the Governor in 2002.
A resident of Conway, Mr. Groome is retired from HTC as Chief Executive Corporate Communications and Government Relations. Current President of Chair City Consulting.
Mr. Donald W. HelmsFirst appointed by the Governor in 2007.
A resident of Conway, Mr. Helms is owner of Helms Realty, Inc.
Mr. Jon D. "David" McMillanFirst appointed by the Governor in 2012.
A resident of Murrells Inlet, Mr. McMillan is Managing Partner of Drunken Jack's Restaurant & Inlet Affairs.
Mr. Y. Melvin Nobles, SecretaryFirst appointed by the Governor in 1979.
A resident of North Myrtle Beach, Mr. Nobles is retired from the Grady Hardwick Construction Company.
Dr. Robert J. FarrarFirst appointed by the Governor in 2018.
A resident of Myrtle Beach, Dr. Farrar is a retired Cosmetic Dentist.
Mr. Robert P. Hucks, IIFirst appointed by the Governor in 2018.
A resident of Conway, Mr. Hucks is Executive Vice President, North Strand /Conway Market at Coastal Carolina National Bank.
The Area Commission will meet at 9:30 a.m. via Microsoft Teams until further notice due to COVID-19. The information will be provided on our Area Commission agenda and posted on the website 24 hours in advance of the meeting.
- February 21, 2017: Agenda | Minutes
- March 6-8, 2017: Agenda
- April 18, 2017: Agenda | Minutes
- June 13, 2017: Agenda | Minutes
- August 8, 2017: Agenda | Minutes
- October 10, 2017: Agenda | Minutes
- February 13, 2018: Agenda | Minutes
- April 3, 2018: Agenda | Minutes
- June 12, 2018: Agenda | Minutes
- August 14, 2018: Agenda | Minutes
- October 3, 2018: Agenda | Minutes
- February 12, 2019: Agenda | Minutes
- April 9, 2019: Agenda | Minutes
- June 11, 2019: Agenda | Minutes
- August 13, 2019 (canceled)
- October 8, 2019: Agenda | Minutes
- February 11, 2020: Agenda | Minutes
- April 7, 2020: Agenda | Minutes
- May 5, 2020: Agenda | Minutes
- June 9, 2020: Agenda | Minutes
- August 11, 2020: Agenda | Minutes
- October 13, 2020: Agenda | Minutes
- February 9, 2021: Agenda | Minutes
- March 4, 2021: Agenda | Minutes (03/06) | Minutes (03/07) | Minutes (03/08)
- April 6, 2021: Agenda | Minutes
- June 8, 2021: Agenda | Minutes
- August 10, 2021: Agenda
- October 12, 2021: Agenda