Facebook Pixel Registrar's Office | Horry-Georgetown Technical College

Registrar's Office

Horry-Georgetown Technical College

Office of the Registrar

As a member of the Horry-Georgetown Technical College Division of Student Affair's, the Office of the Registrar pledges to be an exemplary model within the College for service and execution of duty while conducting itself in accordance with College policy along with state and federal law.

The Registrar's Office is committed to providing efficient, timely, and personable service to students, in the areas of registration, posting of transfer credits, upholding academic policy in the maintenance of student academic records, clearing students for graduation, diploma printing, verifying enrollment, producing student transcripts, reporting data as necessary to campus officials and assisting in the implementation and maintenance of the Banner and DegreeWorks software. In addition, the Registrar's Office protects student rights as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Conway Campus Building 1100, D. Kent Sharples Building Room 130

Monday - Thursday: 7:45 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 7:45 am – 12:30 pm

The College Call Center will remain open on Friday to support students. For immediate assistance, please call 843-347-3186 and choose option 1 to be connected to our Call Center, or email info@hgtc.edu. You may also access many services online by logging into your myHGTC account.

EMAIL: registrar@hgtc.edu  PHONE: 843-349-5285
FAX: 843-234-2213

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the current College Catalog for more information.

Please see the current College Catalog for more information.

How do I add/drop a class?

Classes that are dropped during the designated Add/Drop Period of the term will not appear on the student’s academic record. Add/Drop a class or classes by following the steps below:

  1. Log in to your myHGTC student portal.
  2. Locate the Registration Tools card. (Note: If you do not see this card, click on Discover More at the bottom of your screen to locate this card)
  3. Click on the “Registration Dashboard” in the “Registration Tools” card
  4. Click on “Register for Classes”
  5. Select the Semester Term from the drop-down menu and click “Continue”
  6. Enter the search criteria for the course which you would like to enroll in and select “Add” to add this course to your schedule.
  7. If you are looking to drop a course, this may be done by selecting either Web Drop or Remove from the Action menu in the Summary area of the screen.
  8. Click Submit to save any changes.

After the end of the designated Add/Drop Period, students may withdraw from their course up through the two-thirds point of the term. Students should consult the Academic Calendar for the add/drop dates for each term. 

How do I withdraw from a class?

Students seeking to withdraw must do so prior to the two-thirds point of the term. Withdrawal prior to the two-thirds point of the term will result in a grade of “W.” Withdraw from a class or classes by following the instructions below:

  1. Log in to your myHGTC student portal.
  2. Locate the Registration Tools card. (Note: If you do not see this card, click on Discover More at the bottom of your screen to locate this card)
  3. Click on the “Registration Dashboard” in the “Registration Tools” card
  4. Click on “Register for Classes”
  5. Select the Semester Term from the drop-down menu and click “Continue”
  6. In the Summary section located on the bottom right of the screen, click on the drop-down menu under Action and select “Web Withdrawal,” and then click “Submit” to drop the desired course.

If a student chooses to withdraw from a class after the two-thirds point of the term, they must contact their instructor, and will receive a “W” if passing the course on the last date of attendance, or a “WF” if failing the course on the last date of attendance. 

Before adding, dropping or withdrawing from a class, students are strongly encouraged to speak with Student Accounts, the Financial Aid Office, and their academic advisor to discuss any potential ramifications of the schedule change.

How do I audit a class?

A student who desires to attend class regularly, but who does not wish to take final exams or receive grades or credit, may register as an auditor with permission of the professor and appropriate department chair. A record will be kept of classes attended.

Once I’m enrolled in a class for credit, can I change to audit?

Students who are enrolled in a course for credit cannot change to audit, and once a student is enrolled in a course for audit, they cannot change to credit. Students may register for the course during a subsequent semester to receive credit.

Can I receive credit for an audited class at a later date?

Credit for audited courses cannot be given at a later date.

Do I still have to pay for the class?

Yes, audited students are expected to pay all tuition and fees, and attend class regularly. Please also note that students that receive financial aid or VA assistance will not be eligible for funds for audited courses.

How do I change my major?

To change your major, you must complete a Change of Major form located on the Student Forms page. 

  • Change of Major forms submitted prior to the end of the Add/Drop period for the full term will be processed for that term. 
  • Change of Major forms submitted after the end of the Add/Drop period for the full term will be processed effective for the subsequent full term. 
  • Students interested in changing their major to a limited access program (i.e., Associate Degree Nursing, Radiologic Technology, etc.) are required to follow the same application process as any new applicant seeking admission to that program.

How do I view my course schedule?

Your schedule can be viewed in your myHGTC account in your Student Dashboard.

How do I view course offerings?

You can look up course offerings can be viewed in your myHGTC account under Registration Tools.  Questions concerning course offerings should be directed to your advisor or to the appropriate academic department.  For complete course descriptions, prerequisite requirements and other information, please consult the College Catalog.  

Final Exam Schedule

The Final Exam Period dates can be found by viewing the Academic Calendars webpage.  Please refer to your course syllabi for Final Exam times and dates, and contact your instructor with any questions.

What is the Dean’s List and President’s List?

The college recognizes outstanding academic achievement every semester through the President’s List and Dean’s List.

View the current President's & Dean's List.

How do I make the Dean’s List?

Students must earn a semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.50 to 3.74, with a minimum of 12 graded credit hours.  Non-graded hours, such as S grades or audits, are not counted within the total hours.

How do I make the President’s List?

Students must earn a semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.75 or higher, with a minimum of 12 graded credit hours.  Non-graded hours, such as S grades or audits, are not counted within the total hours.

What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is an online advising tool to help you and your Academic Advisor monitor your progress towards degree completion. The DegreeWorks audit matches your coursework (completed, in progress or registered for in the future) to your program requirements in an easy-to-read worksheet.

How current is my information in DegreeWorks?

The information in DegreeWorks refreshes regularly. Please click on the refresh button located next to the last refresh date to update.

Who do I contact if I have questions about the content my DegreeWorks?

If you have questions about the content of your DegreeWorks audit, please contact your Academic Advisor. Your Academic Advisor can be found at the top of your DegreeWorks audit.

Who do I contact if I am having trouble logging in to my DegreeWorks?

If you are unable to log in to your DegreeWorks, contact TECH Central. Their regular hours of operation are Monday-Thursday: 7:45 AM - 6:00 PM, and Friday: 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM. Please visit TECH Central’s webpage for more information.

To order a replacement Diploma or Certificate, please complete a Diploma Replacement Request Form.  

How do I request an enrollment verification?

An online enrollment verification printout is available in myHGTC on the Registration Tools card. Students can also access their enrollment verification through the National Student Clearinghouse and clicking on Verify Now. Enrollment Verification Requests can also be submitted to the Registrar’s Office on the Conway campus in Building 1100 for completion.

Please visit the College’s FERPA informational page.

How do I view my grades?

Grades can be viewed in your myHGTC account in the Student Dashboard.

How is my GPA calculated?

All grades for attempted courses are shown on the permanent record. Credit hours and quality points will be computed in the GPA. The Grade Point System is as follows:

Grade           Quality Points
A 4
B 3
C 2
D 1
F 0

The Grade Point Average is calculated by dividing the total quality points earned by the total credit hours attempted, excluding those hours with non-punitive grades.

How will I know when I graduate?

Confer with your Advisor to review your progress toward program completion and determine if you have successfully completed all courses necessary for your associate degree, diploma or certificate. You can find your assigned Advisor in myHGTC and DegreeWorks.

Commencement Ceremonies are held once per year at the end of the Spring term. Any student that meets all requirements for graduation in a Fall Term is invited to walk in the commencement ceremonies in the following Spring. Students that will meet the graduation requirements in a Summer term may apply for graduation in the Spring and walk at the Commencement Ceremony, but the degree will not be officially awarded until all required classes have been completed.

Learn more about graduation.

PLA is documented learning gained outside the college classroom according to the American Council on Education (ACE).

Students can benefit from PLA by:

  • Saving time to degree completion; and
  • Saving money.  Courses obtained through prior learning assessment will reduce the total number of required courses needed for degree completion, which in turn, saves money.

Learn more about the different Prior Learning Credit options at HGTC.

I am a new student who has just been accepted. How do I register for classes?

All newly accepted students should meet with a Student Development Coordinator before registering for classes. The Student Development Coordinator (advisor) will help you create your schedule, so make sure to contact them as soon as you have completed the admissions process and received an acceptance letter.

I am a returning student. How do I register for classes?

Returning students should see their academic advisor if they are unsure of the classes for which you should register. Register for classes by following the instructions below:

  1. Log in to your myHGTC student portal.
  2. Locate the “Registration Tools” card.
  3. Click on the “my Registration Dashboard”.
  4. Click on “Register for Classes”.
  5. Select the Term from the drop-down menu and click “Continue”.
  6. Use the “Register for Classes” area to manage your registered courses and see your course schedule in calendar view.

For assistance with the Registration process, please visit The Student Information Center: TECH Central. TECH Central is available at the Conway and Grand Strand Campuses.

Conway: Building 1100, Room 132D

Grand Strand: Building 200, Room 104

When am I allowed to register for classes?

Registration opens each term based on the dates published on the Academic Calendar.

What steps should I take prior to registering?

Check your DegreeWorks for any holds that would prevent you from registering. To resolve any holds, contact the office that issued the hold.

Use your DegreeWorks audit to make a list of classes you wish to take in the upcoming semester.

Set up an appointment with your Student Development Coordinator. You can find your Student Development Coordinator on your DegreeWorks listed under Advisor.

Can I take classes outside of my major?

Federal regulations state if a student is enrolled in courses that do not count toward their program completion, these courses cannot be used to determine enrollment status unless they are eligible remedial courses. This means HGTC cannot award student aid for classes that do not count toward their program completion. Also, federal student aid can be awarded only for learning that results from instruction provided or overseen by the school. It cannot be awarded for any portion of a program based on study or life experience prior to enrollment in the program, or based on tests of learning that are not associated with educational activities overseen by the school. To enroll in a classes(es) outside of your major, please complete and submit a Registration Form in the Registrar’s Office. You will be responsible for the cost of the course.

What is the difference between an official transcript and unofficial transcript?

An official transcript is the official record of a student’s work, showing courses taken and grades received. The Registrar’s Office does not provide unofficial transcripts. Unofficial transcripts can be found on your myHGTC account.

How do I request an official transcript?

Transcripts may be ordered online through the student’s myHGTC account. HGTC has partnered with Parchment Exchange to manage the ordering, processing, and secure delivery of student transcripts. Transcripts can be mailed, sent electronically, or picked up in-person during regular business hours. 

Transcripts may still be requested in person at the Registrar’s Office during regular office hours. Students that request a transcript in-person are required to submit a Transcript Request Form. Transcript requests made by telephone, email, or family/friends will not be accepted.

What happens if I request “Hold for Grades” or “Hold for Degree” on my transcript order?

If a student elects for a transcript to be held for grades, the transcript will not be issued until the end of the current semester. If a student elects for a transcript to be held for graduation, the requested transcript will not be issued until after the student has graduated.

How do I obtain an unofficial transcript?

Students can obtain an unofficial transcript through their myHGTC account for free.

Instructions for obtaining Unofficial Transcript:

  1. Log in to myHGTC and locate the Student Resources card.
  2. Click on the Student Dashboard.
  3. Click on Student Profile. Scroll Down and click on Unofficial Academic Transcript.

How do I check the status of my Parchment order?

To check the status of your Parchment order:

  1. Log in to www.parchment.com
  2. Click Transcripts
  3. Click Order History

For additional help, please visit Parchment’s Student FAQ Page.  If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Where do I submit transcripts from other colleges or universities?

Official transcripts can be mailed to the HGTC Admissions Office at the address below:

Horry-Georgetown Technical College, Office of Admissions
PO Box 261966
Conway, SC 29528

Official transcripts can also be sent electronically via email (by the high school or college) to transcripts@hgtc.edu or hand-delivered to the HGTC Admissions Office in a sealed envelope.

How does HGTC determine which courses transfer and which do not?

To be accepted, transfer courses must be received on an official transcript form institutions accredited through an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education located at ope.ed.gov with a grade of “C-“ or better and equivalent to courses at HGTC.

Do my transfer credits affect my GPA while attending HGTC?

No, transfer credits do not affect a student’s GPA while attending HGTC.

How many of my transfer credits will count toward my program completion?

Credits transferred from other institutions may not exceed 75% of the total credits required by HGTC for graduation.

How do I receive Military Transfer Credits?

Military credits may be accepted if the credit has been evaluated and recommended for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE). Please have your official military transcript sent to the address above for review.

How do courses transfer within the state of South Carolina?

The South Carolina Commission on Higher Education has created a web portal, www.sctrac.org, designed to facilitate college course transfer and articulation in the state. All South Carolina public institutions of higher education, two-year and four-year alike, work together to make it easier for students to transfer academic credit. Learn more about transfer at SCTRAC.

How do I obtain credit for Prior Learning?

For credits obtained through Prior Learning, such as Exemption Credit, Experiential Credit, Credit by Proficiency, AP, IB, CLEP, and TAP, please visit the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) webpage.

What is a visiting student?

A visiting student is a non-degree-seeking student who is currently pursuing a degree at another institution that enrolls at HGTC to take a class or classes towards their degree.

How do I take classes as a visiting student?

To apply as a visiting student, follow the instructions below:

  1. Submit an Admissions application either online or in-person at the Admissions Office.
  2. Submit a completed Visiting Student Form. This form shows HGTC that your home institution has approved the course or courses for transfer. For detailed information about transfer course equivalencies, transfer procedures, and much more, visit www.sctrac.org.
  3. Pay your tuition and fees by the deadline to avoid being dropped from classes. Check the Academic Calendar for important dates. HGTC also offers a variety of tuition payment plans.

Please check the HGTC Visiting Student page for more guidance.