A student's residency classification for tuition purposes is determined by the Admissions staff at the time an admission application is submitted in accordance with South Carolina Code of Laws #59-112-100 to #59-112-150, the Commission on Higher Education Regulations Chapter 62, and College policies and procedures.
Residency application deadline
For priority review and consideration of residency reclassification, submit your application by August 17th, 2021. Applications submitted by this date will be processed and reviewed by the Non-Payment Purge date of August 30th, 2021. Applications submitted by the Final Fall Deadline August 30th, 2021, could be processed after the non-payment purge date, which could hold up review and awarding of Financial aid funding.
Priority Fall Deadline - August 17th, 2021
Fall Final Deadline – August 30th, 2021
Financial Aid will not be awarded until your residency classification has been determined.
If your Residency Classification has been evaluated as Unknown due to providing incomplete residency information, complete one of the following Residency Information forms:
- Student is claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax returns
- Parent, guardian, or spouse provides more than 50% of student’s financial support (including tuition and housing)
- Student provides more than 51% of own financial support
- Student claimed himself/herself or filed jointly on previous year’s tax return
* If the employment status on the form is marked “unemployed,” complete the Financial Support Information Form to avoid receiving a hold on your account for additional information.
Students under 24 years of age are presumed to be dependent. If you are under 24 and believe you should be considered as an Independent Applicant, complete the “Application for Review of Residency Classification – Independent” located in the steps below. All requirements on the Residency Checklist must be met to qualify as an Independent Applicant.
- Student or parent/spouse/guardian is an active military member stationed in South Carolina.
- Student or parent/spouse/guardian discharged from the military and eligible for qualified benefits.