A student's residency classification for tuition purposes is determined by the Admissions staff at the time an admission application is submitted in accordance with South Carolina Code of Laws #59-112-10 to #59-112-100 and College policies and procedures.
Residency application deadline
Residency applications for Spring 2019 are due Friday, January 18 by 12:30pm.
Financial Aid will not be awarded until your residency classification has been determined.
If your Residency Classification has been evaluated as Unknown due to providing incomplete residency information, complete one of the following Residency Information forms:
- Student is claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax returns
- Parent, guardian, or spouse provides more than 50% of student’s financial support (including tuition and housing)
- Student provides more than 51% of own financial support
- Student claimed himself/herself or filed jointly on previous year’s tax return
* If the employment status on the form is marked “unemployed,” complete the Financial Support Information Form to avoid receiving a hold on your account for additional information.
Students under 24 years of age are presumed to be dependent. If you are under 24 and believe you should be considered as an Independent Applicant, complete the “Application for Review of Residency Classification – Independent” located in the steps below. All requirements on the Residency Checklist must be met to qualify as an Independent Applicant.
- Student or parent/spouse/guardian is an active military member stationed in South Carolina.
- Student or parent/spouse/guardian was discharged from the military less than three years ago.
Veterans discharged more than three years ago may be eligible for the ‘Retirement Exemption’ to the 12 months requirement. Please see the links to the residency checklists above to determine if you are eligible for in-state tuition.