Veterans' and Military Resources
Military and Veterans' Educational Benefits
Horry-Georgetown Technical College is approved by the Veterans Administration as a training facility to administer the various types of veterans' benefits. HGTC can assist prospective and current student veterans and active military by providing counseling and direction on all education benefits including:
- Connect you with local VA resources and community organizations to help you be successful outside the classroom
- Assist with applying for the appropriate VA educational benefits
- Provide information and assistance about completing the HGTC admissions process, including requesting transcripts
- Provide information and assistance with applying for financial aid
- Provide a review of military transcripts
- Provide special services relating to students with disabilities and counseling
- Apply to HGTC
- Apply for VA Educational Benefits
- Request Military Transcript - Air Force Branch and All Other Branches
- Apply for financial aid
- Enroll in classes that are applicable to major. To reach your advisor email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a Request for VA Certification of Enrollment form to Financial Aid
- Review the Information for Students Receiving VA Educational Benefits sheet
For more information about using your benefits at HGTC review the Military and Veterans' Benefits Checklist.
HGTC certifies benefits for the following education benefits programs:
- The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)
- Yellow Ribbon Program
- MYCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program)
- The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
- The MGIB-SR program (Chapter 1606)
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA or Chapter 35)
- Free Tuition/Education Assistance for Certain Veterans’ Children (FTCVC)
- Military Tuition Assistance for Active Duty Members
Tuition Assistance Return of Funds Policy
All DoD U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds are earned
in a prorated manner on a daily basis up to the 60% point for the course. DoD Tuition
Assistance Regulation states that a student must attend through the 60% point of the
course in order to earn 100% of their TA funds for the period for which the funds
were approved. All unearned TA funds will be returned based on the last date of attendance
prior to the 60% point for the course.
Note: Students will need to check with their Branch of Service to see specific Terms and Conditions pertaining to Tuition Assistance.
VA Benefits Expectations Policy
In accordance with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, section 3679(e) of Title 38, amended United States Code, covered students entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill can expect the following:
- Students entitled to educational benefits must submit a written request to have their enrollment certified by completing the Request for VA Certification of Enrollment. The “Request for VA Certification of Enrollment” must be submitted each semester.
- HGTC permits a covered student to attend or participate in the course of education.
The period begins on the date in which the student provides a certificate of eligibility
or the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Statement of Benefits for entitlement to educational
assistance under Chapter 31 or 33 to HGTC and ends on the earlier of the following
- The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
- 90 days after the date HGTC certifies tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
- HGTC will not impose any penalty on a covered student because of the student’s inability
to meet his or her financial obligations to HGTC due to the delayed disbursement funding
from VA under Chapters 31 or 33. Penalties that will not be imposed include but are
not limited to:
- assessment of late fees
- the denial of access to classes
- libraries or other institutional facilities
- requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds
- Students who have a balance remaining, after educational benefits have been applied to their account, are required to make payment arrangements with Student Accounts and pay the remaining balance in full.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
VA toll-free number, 1.888.442.4551 (GI Bill-1)
- The South Carolina State Office of Veterans Affairs
Phone (803) 734-0200