Academic Information and Policies

Academic Information and Policies

Academic Average (Grade Point Average)

A student's grade points must be at least double the number of semester hours of credit pursued in order to maintain a scholastic average (GPA) of "C" (2.00) or better, which is required in order to graduate.

Academic Degree Requirements

Students must successfully complete the required semester credit hours of the academic program with a minimum 2.00 grade point average to be eligible for graduation. A minimum of 25% of coursework must be completed at HGTC.

Further, students must submit a graduation application upon meeting the program requirements in order to be awarded a degree, diploma or certificate.

Some programs are approved for Cooperative Work Experience (CWE or SCWE). Students seeking work credit should check in advance with the academic advisor.

Some programs have articulation agreements for advanced placement for high school students or with baccalaureate institutions. Students should see their academic advisors or for details.

Electives must be chosen from courses on the associate degree level and are subject to the approval of the academic advisor.

Normal Completion Time
The semester displays for Degree, Diploma and Certificate programs are provided as a suggested enrollment for students who attend on a full-time basis, who have no developmental or prerequisite requirements and who begin the program in the semester indicated.

Students who do not enroll in or satisfactorily complete the designated courses or who begin in different semesters should expect to extend their normal completion time.

Academic Fresh Start Policy

The Academic Fresh Start Policy recognizes the new focus and purpose of the returning student and provides a way of reflecting a measurement of current academic achievement without previously earned grades lowering overall grade point average.  Returning students may apply for Academic Fresh Start with the Registrar’s Office on the Conway Campus within the first two terms of reenrollment.  The final decision of granting Academic Forgiveness will be made by the Registrar in consultation with the Department Chair for the program in which the student is currently enrolled.

Academic Standing

Students are notified of their academic standing via email to their WaveNet email account only. Financial Aid Standards of Progress (SAP) have different requirements for satisfactory progress.

Good Standing
A student is in good standing with the College when he/she maintains a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA). Some academic programs have more stringent requirements to remain in the program of study; students are advised of these requirements in program progression standards. It is the responsibility of the student to be aware of the requirements for his/her program of study. Financial aid programs have different Standards of Progress and a student may enroll, but receive no financial aid.

Academic Warning
A student pursuing an associate degree, diploma, or certificate will be placed on academic warning when his/her semester GPA falls below 2.0. A student who is on academic warning should meet with his/her academic advisor, seek tutoring services and consider reducing the number of classes attempted for the academic warning term.

Academic Probation
Any student who fails to earn a 2.0 GPA for two semesters in a row will be placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation are strongly encouraged to meet with a member of the counseling staff and his/her academic advisor to determine a course of action to improve the student's academic performance. Possible courses of action include a reduction in course load, participation in tutorial services, developmental studies and/or withdrawal from extracurricular activities.

Academic Suspension
Students who fail to earn a 2.0 GPA while on Academic Probation will be placed on academic suspension from the College for one semester. Students re-admitted after one semester of suspension must achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA in ALL classes attempted. Re-admission after a second term of academic suspension should also include participation in counseling through Student Services to confirm the student's goals and program of study, and to encourage proper study patterns and participation in tutoring.

Standards of Progress

• Students must meet the College's Academic Standards of Progress in order to continue enrollment. See Academic Standing.
• Students who receive financial aid must also meet the Federal and State guidelines for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain eligible for financial assistance.

Other non-federal financial aid programs have academic progress standards, which are defined in the information regarding each program. It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with all standards of progress requirements.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement Exams (AP)
HGTC accepts the Advanced Placement Examination program of the College Entrance Examination Board. A score of three or higher must be attained for credit to be granted. Contact the Registrar's Office for determination of a specific course exemption. For more information on AP Courses, AP Score Reports, and AP Credit & Placement, please go to AP score equivalents for transfer to HGTC are available at:

Auditing Courses
A student who desires to attend classes regularly, but who does not wish to take final examinations or receive grades or credit, may register as an auditor with permission of the professor and appropriate department chair. A record will be kept of classes attended. Credit for such courses cannot be established at a later date. A student enrolled in a course for credit cannot change to audit, and once a student is enrolled in a course for audit, s/he cannot change to credit. The participation of auditing students in class discussions, tests or examinations is optional with the professor. Audit students are expected to attend class regularly and pay all tuition and fees. A student may register for the course for a subsequent semester for credit. Also, please note that students who receive financial aid or VA assistance will not receive funds for audited courses.

Experiential Credit
The College recognizes that college-level learning occurs in a variety of settings and will award credit for verifiable learning activities through experiential exemption credit. Applicants for experiential exemption credit must be at least 18 years old, must have experienced a break in formal education and demonstrate sufficient work or service experience and must have completed the HGTC admission process. Experiential credit is awarded only for documented learning which demonstrates achievement of all outcomes for specific courses in a program of study. Experiential credit is not awarded if the student has previously attempted the course for which credit is sought. It is the student's responsibility to provide transcripts and appropriate documentation.

Students must first contact the appropriate Academic Chair for review of documentation and, if credit is recognized, submission of a completed Experiential Exemption Credit Form to the Registrar's Office with appropriate documentation, including such items as appropriate from the learning activity:
• Official, sealed transcript from training entity;
• Certificates from professional organizations;
• Letters from employer with detailed information about the experience; and,
• Artifacts, such as projects, programs.

Academic Chairs and the Registrar's Office will consult American Council on Education (ACE) National Guides for College Credit Recommendations which include military, professional and many other training organizations.

The Academic Chair may require additional information, including proficiency testing to confirm student knowledge of theoretical concepts to determine experiential credit award. If proficiency testing is required, the non-refundable testing fee is $40, payment in advance to Student Accounts. The Chair will complete the Experiential Exemption Credit Form and submit for processing. If no testing is required, there is no cost for Experiential Exemption Credit.

The Registrar's Office will document the credit for the student's records, notify appropriate offices of the award and maintain the documentation used to determine the award.

Experiential credit appears on the transcript with credits hours earned, but no grade is assigned for calculation in the GPA. Experiential exemption credit cannot exceed 25% of credits required for graduation.

CLEP - College-Level Examination Program

The Conway Campus Testing Center is approved by The College Board as an official CLEP Testing Center site. Computerized CLEP exams are administered at the Conway Campus Testing Center only.  A fee is charged for each test administered, payable by debit or credit card.

By taking CLEP computerized exams and receiving approved scores, students can receive exemption credit for specific HGTC CLEP courses. In addition, approximately 3,000 colleges nationwide grant credit for approved CLEP exams. CLEP Information for Candidates brochures are available in all campus Testing Centers, and information on CLEP study guides is available on The College Board website at:

International Baccalaureate Credit (IB)
HGTC awards International Baccalaureate credit to students for courses in which a grade of four (4) or higher has been made on the appropriate International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) examination while in high school. All courses may not apply toward a degree. A listing of courses which may be exempted, as well as the complete IBO credit policy and procedure, is available from the Registrar's Office or at .

Proficiency Examination Credit
Registered students may challenge a limited number of courses with the approval of the appropriate Department Chair and Academic Assistant Vice President/Dean and by paying appropriate fee(s). Students cannot receive credit by examination for a course that is equivalent to or at a lower level than that in which they are currently enrolled or for which they have previously enrolled. Students may not challenge any course that has been previously audited or failed. All prerequisites must be completed before taking a proficiency examination. Any student interested in Credit by Proficiency Examination may obtain an application at the Registrar's Office on the Conway Campus, the Director of Campus and Support Services at the Grand Strand Campus, the Office of the Coordinator of Student Affairs on the Georgetown Campus, or by going to

Application for Proficiency Exam Credit
• Students must obtain an application for proficiency examination from the Registrar's Office or go to
• A fee is required. Students must show proof of payment to the department chair/designee administering the examination before the examination is scheduled;
• Students should schedule proficiency examinations with appropriate department chair/designee or the testing center.
• A numerical grade of 75 or higher is passing the exam and earns proficiency credit.

The Credit by Proficiency appears as credit hours earned but no grade is assigned for GPA calculation. Credits by Proficiency cannot exceed 25% of the total credits required for graduation.

Contact the Conway Campus Testing Center at (843) 349-5248 for information or to arrange tests listed below.
· MAT 101 Beginning Algebra
· MAT 102 Intermediate Algebra
· MAT 155 Contemporary Mathematics
· MAT 170 Algebra, Geometry & Trig I

Contact Theresa Strong at (843) 349-7559 for information or to arrange tests listed below.
· ACC 150 Payroll Accounting
· ACC 124 Individual Tax Procedures
· BUS 101 Introduction to Business

Contact Lou Ann Timmons at (843) 349-5367 for information or to arrange test.
· CPT 170 Microcomputer Applications
· CPT 270 Advanced Microcomputer Applications

Contact Lydia Tisdale at (843) 349-5275 for information or to arrange test.
· AOT 105 Keyboarding
· AOT 110 Document Formatting

Contact Lorraine Aldrich at (843) 349-1139 for information or to arrange test.
· AHS 102 Medical Terminology

Attendance Policies and Procedures

Students are responsible for all course work and class assignments; so, they are expected to regularly and promptly attend all meetings of classes in which they are enrolled. Students should limit absences to those that are unavoidable and, with professor's consent, should make up all missed work, if permitted.

Per SC Technical College Policy, HGTC maintains a general attendance policy requiring students to be present for a minimum of 80% of classes to be eligible to receive credit for any course. If a student is not in attendance for two consecutive weeks, they will be withdrawn from the course. In addition, a more rigid attendance policy may be required by the program of study. At a minimum, a student may be withdrawn from a course after he/she has been absent in more than 10% of the total contact hours for a course. Professors define absentee limits for their classes at the beginning of each term. Students withdrawn from a course due to excessive absences will receive a grade of Withdraw ("W") up to the 2/3 point of the semester. After the two-thirds point, a student will receive a “W” if passing the course on the date last attended or “WF” (“U” for Developmental Studies courses) if failing the course on the date last attended.  Students may be required to repay source of financial assistance for non-attendance, excessive absences or withdrawals.

Attendance records begin the first day of class for ALL students, regardless of registration date.

Online and hybrid classes require attendance. Attendance is defined as the submission of or participation in an academic related activity, such as the completion of an instructional packet quiz, participation in a discussion, submission of assignments, or the completion of an exam or quiz. Each instructor defines the method for students to indicate class attendance, and students are responsible for meeting the attendance requirements for each class.

Commencement Ceremony

Commencement exercises are held each May. Students who complete academic requirements during the fall or spring terms are expected to participate. Students who will complete requirements by end of summer term may participate in commencement. The same requirements apply to these students. To participate, summer term candidates must have a minimum 2.00 program GPA at the time of the ceremony.

Honors are those recognized at the time of the ceremony and are printed in the commencement program and announced when the student receives his/her diploma as follows:

Cum Laude–graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.50-3.74
Magna Cum Laude–graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.75-3.99
Summa Cum Laude–graduating with a cumulative GPA of 4.00

Cooperative Education

For selected academic programs, current work experience may be applicable for college credit. College credit awarded for work experience may be defined under Cooperative Education as Cooperative Work Experience (CWE) or Supervised Cooperative Work Experience (SCWE). The cooperative type of work experience is a unique plan of education that integrates classroom study with planned and supervised work experience. It is called "cooperative education" because it depends upon cooperation between educational institutions and employers to form a total educational program. The College views cooperative work experience as an essential mechanism in the accomplishment of its responsibility to provide a broad range of occupationally oriented programs, addressing the specific needs of service area industries and businesses, and to prepare technicians for the job market. Each student should contact the appropriate academic advisor for information.

General Education Courses

The general education courses serve as a common foundation for career seeking and transfer students. Below is a list of courses which will fulfill core curriculum and may transfer to senior institutions. For more information on individual course transferability see  Students are advised to contact the transfer institution for approval of transfer courses. Advisors will provide assistance. Courses on the Statewide Articulation Agreement are denoted below as Transfer.  

English Composition and Speech: ENG 155, ENG 160
Transfer: ENG 101; ENG 102; SPC 205

Humanities/Fine Art
MUS 111, MUS 112, PHI 201, REL 103,
Transfer: ART 101, ART 108, ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 205, ENG 206, ENG 208, ENG 209, ENG 214, ENG 218, ENG 230, ENG 236 FRE 201, FRE 202, GER 201, GER 202, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 201, HIS 202, HIS 214, MUS 105, PHI 101, PHI 110, PHI 115, SPA 201, SPA 202, SPC 210, THE 101

MAT 101, MAT 102, MAT 155, MAT 168, MAT 170, MAT 175, MAT 176, MAT 250 and MAT 251 (Education transfers)
Transfer: MAT 110, MAT 111, MAT 120, MAT 122, MAT 130, MAT 141, MAT 240 MAT 242

Natural Sciences
BIO 105, BIO 112, CHM 105, PHY 118
Transfer: AST 101, AST 102, BIO 101, BIO 102, BIO 210, BIO 211, BIO 225, CHM 110, CHM 111, CHM 211, CHM 212, PHY 201, PHY 202, PHY 221, PHY 222

Social/Behavioral Sciences
PSY 103
Transfer: ANT 101, ECO 210, ECO 211, GEO 101, GEO 102, PSC 201, PSC 215, PSY 201, PSY 203, PSY 210, PSY 212, SOC 101, SOC 102, SOC 205, SOC 210, SOC 220

Note: FRE 101 and 102, GER 101 and 102 and SPA 101 and 102 are transfer foreign language courses and may fulfill requirements in Major or Other Courses for AA and Other Courses for AS and AAS programs of study.

General Education Program Learning Outcomes

The General Education Program helps the student strengthen academic skills, broaden intellectual horizons, develop and explore new academic interests, reflect on personal and professional values, develop an appreciation for multiculturalism and build a foundation of knowledge for future course work and life-long learning. All associate degrees require a minimum of 15 semester hour credits of general education which include at least one course from each of the following areas: Humanities/Fine Arts; Social/Behavioral Sciences; Natural Sciences/Mathematics.

This General Education core provides graduates with appropriate Reading, Writing, Oral Communication, Fundamental Mathematical skills and the basic use of computers. (SC Technical College System Program Models)

Through the general education core all associate degree graduates will demonstrate the following competencies upon completion of their program of study:

• Communicate effectively;
• Think critically;
• Self and professional development. 

Grade Point Average

The College operates on a semester-hour credit system. Semester-hour credits represent the number of hours completed with a passing grade. Grade points are determined by the grade earned. Each grade is assigned on a "grade point equivalent" in grade points for each semester hour scheduled. All grades for attempted courses are shown on the student's permanent record. Credit hours and points are computed in the student's Grade Point Average (GPA).

The Grade Point Average is as follows:
Grade Points
A 4
B 3
C 2
D 1
F/WF 0
I Hours not earned until grade assigned (non-punitive)


Computing GPA Example:
Course Grade Point Equivalent Credit Hrs. Attm* GP Earned
BIO 101 C 2 4 8
PSY 201 B 3 3 9
ENG 102 C 2 3 6
MAT 110 B 3 3 9
ENG 231 I 0   0
Total     16 32

*Attempted means that the student is enrolled in the class after the Add/Drop period.

GPA is calculated by dividing the total grade points earned (32) by the total credit hours attempted (16), minus those hours with non-punitive grades (3): Example: 32 ÷ (16-3) = 32 ÷ 13 = 2.46 GPA.

The Grading Scale

HGTC has a standardized, recommended grading scale for academic courses. The grading scale requires that grades within the indicated range be defined as:

A: 90-100   B: 80-89   C: 70-79   D: 60-69   F: Below 60

A different grading scale may exist in some academic programs. The grading scale is provided for each class. Refer to the specific academic program section.

The following grades are used:
A - EXCELLENT: used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 4 quality points and earns credit hours.
B - ABOVE AVERAGE: used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 3 quality points and earns credit hours.
C - AVERAGE: used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 2 quality points and earns credit hours.
D - BELOW AVERAGE: used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 1 quality point and earns credit hours.
F - FAILURE: used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 0 quality points and earns 0 credit hours. (Hours
attempted are used in GPA calculations.)
I - INCOMPLETE: does not affect GPA calculations; defaults to “F” automatically after one term if the incomplete work has not been completed and generates 0 quality points and 0 credit hours. (See special note below.)
WF - WITHDRAWN FAILURE: used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 0 quality points and earns 0 credit hours. (Hours attempted are used in GPA calculations.)
W - WITHDRAW: not used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 0 quality points and earns 0 credit hours. May be utilized when extenuating circumstances warrant.
S - SATISFACTORY: not used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 0 quality points, but does cause credit hours and CEUs to be earned.
U - UNSATISFACTORY: not used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 0 quality points, earns 0 credit hours.
AU - AUDIT: not used in GPA calculations; carries a value of 0 quality points and earns 0 credit hours.
CF - CARRY FORWARD: not used in GPA calculations; earns 0 credit hours; generates no grade points.
E - EXEMPT: not used in GPA calculations; earns credit hours; generates no grade points. An “E” is awarded for HGTC courses which students have been permitted to exempt as a result of testing, articulation, equivalent work experience or other educational experience.
NC - NO CREDIT: not used in GPA calculations; earns 0 credit hours; generates no grade points.
SC - SATISFACTORY COMPLETION: not used in GPA calculations; earns credit hours, generates no grade points.
TR - TRANSFER: not used in GPA calculations; earns credit hours; generates no grade points. A “TR” is given for allowable equivalent credits earned at other accredited colleges, universities or technical colleges. All “TR” grades must be supported by an official transcript of record from a regionally accredited postsecondary institution.

Note: Regarding a grade of “I” (Incomplete): A grade of Incomplete (“I”) is assigned when the student does not complete work or take the final exam due to illness or for other reasons over which the student has no control. This grade is given only with the approval of the professor involved. An incomplete must be completed by the end of the following term. Otherwise, the grade becomes an automatic failure (“F”).

Graduation Requirements

Students are eligible for graduation upon completion of the following:
• Satisfactory completion of the required number of hours and courses specified in their curriculum (students who are re-admitted to the same program after two or more calendar years of inactive enrollment will be required to utilize the current catalog to meet graduation requirements);
• Achievement of necessary program grade point average of 2.00;
• Payment of all fees and financial obligations due the College; and;
• Filing of an "Application for Degree, Diploma or Certificate" with the Registrar's Office by the announced deadline.

In compliance with the Student Right to Know Act of 1990, information on student graduation, on completion and transfer rates can be viewed on the college website at or request this information in Student Services.


The College recognizes outstanding academic achievement every semester through the President's List and the Dean's List. Students are eligible for these honors using the following criteria:

President's List
Semester grade point average (GPA) of 3.75 or higher, with a minimum of 12 credit hours.

Dean's List
Semester GPA of 3.50 to 3.74, with a minimum of 12 credit hours.

Note: Developmental courses are not included in this calculation. Students receiving an Incomplete (I) cannot be considered for these recognitions until a grade change has been processed through the Registrar's Office. The President’s List and Dean’s List are published after each semester and posted on WaveNet and the College’s social media platforms for students who have not marked the Confidentiality Indicator in the Student Information System prohibiting the college from publishing FERPA directory information.   Students receiving this honor will receive a certificate mailed to their address on file.

Standards of Progress

• Students must meet the College's Academic Standards of Progress in order to continue enrollment. See Academic Standing.
• Students who receive financial aid must also meet the Federal and State guidelines for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain eligible for financial assistance.

Other non-federal financial aid programs have academic progress standards, which are defined in the information regarding each program. It is the student's responsibility to be familiar with all standards of progress requirements.


Students needing to withdraw from a course or courses must do so on WaveNet, on the College website, if prior to the two-thirds point of the semester.

During the add/drop period for the term, the student will perform a Web Drop. If student drops during this period, class(es) do not appear on the transcript and no tuition is charged.

After the add/drop period and before two-thirds points for the term, the student may perform a withdrawal which results in a grade of "W." This withdrawal may affect the student's financial aid award and Satisfactory Academic Progress.

After the two-thirds point, a student will receive a "W" if passing the course on the date last attended, or "WF" ("U" for Developmental Studies courses) if failing the course on the last date attended. This withdrawal may affect the student's financial aid award and Satisfactory Academic Progress.

After the two-thirds point, the withdrawal grade of "W" or "WF" ("U") will be assigned by the course instructor. Students should contact the course instructor to initiate withdrawal after the two-thirds point. Students should discuss their withdrawal plans and the grade with the instructor(s) prior to withdrawal.

Because changes in course loads impact financial aid, veteran's benefits and other enrollment-related financial situations, it is important that students who anticipate withdrawing from a course or courses investigate the impact of this withdrawal with the appropriate College office. Students who do not attend or who withdraw from classes may be required to repay funds allocated for financial assistance for tuition, books, etc.

In addition, courses in some academic programs are sequenced and scheduled only at specific times during the year. Withdrawal from these courses often lengthens the time required for students to complete an academic program of study. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss the impact of withdrawal on normal program completion time with their academic advisor.


Students who plan to pursue a bachelor's degree should elect to enroll in the transferable English, Mathematics, Humanity, Social Sciences and Behavioral Sciences courses to fulfill degree requirements. The optional, college-transferable English sequence is ENG 101 and SPC 205. The optional, college-transferable math sequence is MAT 110 or MAT 120 or higher. Students should refer to Associate in Arts/Science course displays to determine the college-transferable Humanities, Social Sciences, and Behavioral Sciences.