Massage Therapy - Certificate
Are you a patient, caring person who likes to make other people feel good? If so, HGTC's Massage Therapy certificate program might be a good fit for you. Massage is a healing art as well as a science, requiring a balance of academic and technical knowledge, clinical skills, manual dexterity, sensitivity, and awareness. This program prepares you to become certified so you can obtain an entry-level position as a professional Massage Therapist.
Specific Admission Requirements for Program
- Criminal Background Check required immediately upon admission to program.
- Urine Drug Screening required immediately upon admission to program.
- Health Science Division Student Health Record - must indicate student has ability to perform required physical tasks
- Purchase Massage Table
- Purchase Uniforms
- Purchase equipment and supplies
- Student must be 18 years of age by beginning of second term
- To be licensed as a Massage Therapist in the state of South Carolina the graduate must pass the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), or any other examination provided for in regulation and apply for massage therapist licensure with the Labor and Licensing Regulation Board of South Carolina. The cost of completing a licensure examination and application for licensure is not included in the cost of tuition for the program.
Course Sequence and Progression Requirements
A minimum grade of "C" or better is required for all MTH-prefixed courses for progression and graduation. Most Massage Therapy (MTH) courses are offered only once each year, so following the recommended course sequence is extremely important.
The field of massage therapy is growing rapidly in response to the public's expanding interest in forms of healthcare that promote well-being and a higher quality of life. A career in massage therapy allows you to help people in a way that is both personally and professionally rewarding. Employment opportunities can be found in the following fields:
- Massage clinics
Applicants to the Massage Therapy program should be aware a current, unrestricted license or certification may be required to practice in the state in which you intend to reside/practice. Each state is unique in its licensure requirements. Students are encouraged to reach out to the program chair for more information and assistance with understanding professional licensure.
|First Semester - Fall||Course Title||Semester
|MTH 113||Essentials of Anatomy & Physiology||3|
|MTH 120||Introduction to Massage Therapy||4|
|MTH 121||Principles of Massage Therapy I||4|
|MTH 122||Principles of Massage Therapy II||4|
|Second Semester - Spring|
|MTH 126||Pathology for Massage Therapy||2|
|MTH 128||Clinical Applications of Massage||4|
|MTH 132||Massage Therapy Seminar||1|
|MTH 135||Massage Practicum||2|
|MTH 136||Kinesiology for Massage Therapy||2|
|MTH 141||Pharmacology for Massage Therapy||1|
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS