Esthetics Technician - Certificate
The skincare and spa industry is expanding rapidly. As it grows, the need for highly trained and specialized professionals is at an all-time high. HGTC's Esthetics Technician Certificate program provides the skills and abilities you need to be a part of this exciting field. Esthetics, the non-medical care of the skin, is a growing part of the health and beauty industry. This program enables students to learn basic skincare practices, facial treatments, makeup application, hair removal, sanitation procedures, and salon-management practices. Graduates are eligible to take both the written and practical exams of the State Board, thereby preparing them to become licensed Estheticians.
Specific Admission Requirements for Program
- Criminal Background Check (CBC)
- Urine Drug Screening (UDS)
- Admitted to HGTC to include submission of admissions application, official high school transcript/diploma or copy of GED
- Minimum placement test scores, or Multiple Measures Placement or Writing Diagnostic.
- Program Orientation is required. Specific program requirements and costs are provided at orientation.
- Program Orientation dates are posted on student's myHGTC account.
- Upon admission to the program, students will be responsible for purchasing the following and are REQUIRED to have for first day of class: supply kit(s), textbooks and new uniforms.
- CBC and UDS must be completed upon admission to the program. These fees are non-refundable.
Course Sequence and Progression Requirements
A minimum grade of "C" or better is required for all COS-prefixed courses for progression and graduation. Most Esthetics (COS) courses are offered only once each year, so following the recommended course sequence is extremely important.
Professional estheticians are needed in a wide range of businesses, from day spas
and salons to cruise ships and destination resorts. Many modern medical settings are
also finding the skills and abilities of highly-trained professional estheticians
to be extremely helpful.
Employment opportunities can be found in the following fields:
- Dermatology offices
- Plastic surgery offices
For more information about careers, visit O*Net Online for an overview of South Carolina and National earnings statistics, and Career Services for more employment, career, and professional development resources.
Applicants to the Esthetics program should be aware a current, unrestricted license or certification may be required to practice in the state in which you intend to reside/practice. Each state is unique in its licensure requirements. Students are encouraged to reach out to the program chair for more information and assistance with understanding professional licensure.
|Hygiene and Sanitation
|Fundamentals of Massage
|Electric Current and Hair Removal
|Basic Makeup and Application
|Facial Practice I
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS