Cosmetology - Certificate
Everyone wants to look good, so there is always opportunity for creative types who enjoy the challenges of working with hair, skin, and nails. HGTC's Cosmetology Certificate program prepares graduates to pass the SC State Board of Cosmetology examination to become licensed Cosmetologists. Graduates will be able to perform under safe and sanitary conditions, all phases of cosmetology related skills. These skills include hair shaping, styling, coloring, chemical services, manicuring, and skin care.
Students must complete a total of 1500 hours to be eligible to take the State Licensing examination. Applicants are considered to be qualified when they meet all college and program requirements. This program has been approved by the S.C. Department of Labor, Licensure and Regulations for Board of Cosmetology.
Specific Admission Requirements for Program
- Criminal Background Check (CBC)
- Urine Drug Screening (UDS)
- Admitted to HGTC to include submission of admissions application, official high school transcript/diploma or copy of GED.
- Minimum placement test scores, or Multiple Measures Placement or Writing Diagnostic.
- Program Orientation is required. Specific program requirements and costs are provided at orientation.
- Program Orientation dates are posted on student's myHGTC account.
- Upon admission to the program, students will be responsible for purchasing the following and are REQUIRED to have for first day of class: supply kit(s), textbooks and new uniforms.
- CBC and UDS must be completed upon admission to the program. These fees are non-refundable.
Course Sequence and Progression Requirements
A minimum grade of "C" or better is required for all COS-prefixed courses for progression and graduation. Most Cosmetology (COS) courses are offered only once each year, so following the recommended course sequence is extremely important.
Employment opportunities can be found in the following fields:
- Hair salons
- Nail salons
For more information about careers, visit O*Net Online for an overview of South Carolina and National earnings statistics, and Career Services for more employment, career, and professional development resources.
Applicants to the Cosmetology program should be aware a current, unrestricted license or certification may be required to practice in the state in which you intend to reside/practice. Each state is unique in its licensure requirements. Students are encouraged to reach out to the program chair for more information and assistance with understanding professional licensure.
|First Semester||Course Title||Semester
|COS 114||Hair Shaping||4|
|COS 116||Hair Styling I||4|
|COS 155||Sanitation Procedures||2|
|COS 206||Chemical Hair Waving||3|
|COS 210||Hair Coloring||3|
|COS 106||Facials and Makeup||3|
|COS 108||Nail Care||3|
|COS 220||Clinical Practice I||3|
|Following courses are offered in the summer or fall semester dependent on start semester.|
|COS 112||Shampoo Rinses||4|
|COS 130||Professional Image||2|
|Third Semester - Summer|
|COS 110||Scalp and Hair Care||3|
|COS 201||Salon Management||3|
|COS 222||Cosmetology Salon Management II||3|
TOTAL CREDIT HOURS