Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions | Horry-Georgetown Technical College

Frequently Asked Questions

Horry-Georgetown Technical College

Frequently Asked Questions about HGTC

This collection of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about HGTC provides brief answers to many common questions about the college.

What programs do you offer?
We offer more than 70 programs of study. View all programs

How much does Horry-Georgetown Technical College cost?
See tuition rates, including fees and tuition costs for out-of-county, out-of-state, and out-of-country students.

When do classes start?

  • Fall Classes: We generally start advisement mid-March, with classes starting mid-August.
  • Summer Classes: We generally start advisement mid-March, with classes starting mid-May
  • Spring Classes: We generally start advisement mid-October, with classes starting mid-January.

    View the academic calendar here.

How do I set up a Campus tour?
Contact us at campustours@hgtc.edu with your name and program of interest. Click here for campus maps.

How do I enroll?
View step by step instructions for new students; Not a new student? View admissions requirements by student type.

How do I register for classes?
All students should meet with a Student Development Coordinator before registering for classes. The Academic Advising staff will help you create your schedule of classes, so make sure you see an advisor as soon as you have completed the admissions process and received an acceptance letter. Student Development Coordinators see students on a walk-in basis all year long, so there's no need for an appointment. However, please try to avoid the busiest time, which is right before the beginning of each semester.

To register for classes, log onto your myHGTC account. Your login information will be included in your acceptance letter. If you do not have your login information, call our IT Help Desk at 843-349-5340. Go to the Registration Tools card and click the Registration Tool - Schedule Builder link. Follow the on-screen directions. For help registering, visit the Student Information Center - TECH Central on any campus.

How can I participate in dual enrollment/PACE courses?
Horry and Georgetown County high school students are eligible to participate in Dual Enrollment, and TAP. Students will earn high school and college credit through these programs, as long as the student attends Horry-Georgetown Technical College within two years of graduating high school.

Students should contact their high school guidance counselor about these opportunities. More information is available here.

I need a copy of my HGTC transcripts, where do I go?
More information on how to request transcripts, HGTC students must visit Student Accounts to pay the official transcript copy request fee and then, visit the Registrar’s Office, located in Building 1100, Rm. 130.

How do I get a parking pass?
After you register for classes, print out your schedule and take it to the public safety office on any campus. You will also need your vehicle registration. Parking passes are free. The public safety office on the Conway campus is off the courtyard in the 1100 building. The public safety office on the Georgetown campus is located in the cafeteria area. The public safety office on the Grand Strand campus is in the 200 building front lobby.

What student services are available?
Our Student Success and Tutoring Center offers free tutoring, college skills coaching, a Math Center and a Writing Center. Our Career Services offers mock interviews, resume development, and job searches. Each campus has a library and a Student Information Center: TECH Central. Each Student Information Center: TECH Central offers guidance with the financial aid process, registering for classes, and campus technology training for D2L, myHGTC, Microsoft, students with computer-related issues, myHGTC password resets, and more.

How do I Add/Drop classes?
To Add/Drop classes, as long as it is within allowable dates, log into myHGTC. On the Student Resources card, click on the Student Dashboard. Then follow steps below:

  1. Click Student Profile
  2. Click Registration and Planning
  3. Click Register for Classes
  4. Select term desired
  5. Choose Web withdrawal
  6. Click Submit

All dates for Add/Drop can be found on the Academic Calendar as well. Dropping a course may affect your financial aid status, so be sure to check with Financial Aid before dropping a class.

How do I set up an appointment with my advisor? How do I know where and who my advisor is?
To set up an appointment with your advisors you will need to either email or call your advisor to schedule an appointment. Look up your advisor by: logging into your myHGTC account, click the link on the Degree Works card. Your advisor will be listed on the main page of your Degree Works. A general list of advisors is found on the academic advising page.

How do I set up Direct Deposit?
Read more Detailed information about refund policies, and Direct Deposit.

How do I view my email?
Login to your myHGTC account and click the icon on the Campus Email card. If you are not able to see your Email account or it does not load, contact the Helpdesk or call 843-349-5340 or visit TECH Central.

PLEASE NOTE: Beginning January 1st, 2024 HGTC will deactivate myHGTC accounts for any student who hasn't been actively enrolled for 4 consecutive semesters. Click here for more info.

I just got this parking ticket where do I go to pay for it?
Visit the student accounts office on your campus:

What do I need to borrow materials from the library?
HGTC students, faculty, administration and staff may check out library materials with their H number and a valid picture ID. Residents of Horry and Georgetown Counties are invited to apply for a library card with photo identification at any of the three campus locations. Student IDs and public library cards can be used at all three campus libraries.

Can I have materials transferred between campuses?

Yes. Patrons can order materials belonging to any of the three HGTC libraries and have the materials delivered to their home campus. Speak to a library staff member to request an item.

If HGTC Library does not have the print materials I am seeking, what is my next option?

You have three options available to you:

  1. PASCAL Delivers allows current HGTC employees and students to request books from other South Carolina colleges and universities. Search the PASCAL catalog to request materials.
  2. Our library offers an Interlibrary Loan service where patrons may borrow materials from other libraries throughout the country. You can request materials through Interlibrary Loan on the library website at www.hgtc.edu/library, or by speaking with a library staff member.
  3. Students, faculty, and staff with an HGTC ID card and proof of their current schedule from myHGTC (students) may borrow materials from Coastal Carolina University's Kimbel Library. Anyone taking advantage of this reciprocal borrowing agreement must comply with all of Kimbel Library's policies.

Can anyone use a library computer?
All three HGTC campus libraries are equipped with computers to support academic research and related school work. Facilities at the library, including computer workstations, are available for public use. Students, faculty and staff are allotted 4 hours per day of computer use; public patrons with an HGTC library card are allotted 30 minutes per day. This time is guaranteed. Students working on class assignments may request extra time from a library staff member. Printing is available from all computers. Wireless printing is available at the Conway and Grand Strand campus libraries.

Does the library check out any electronic equipment?

Yes. Current HGTC students may check out laptops, iPads, or NOOKs. Laptops and iPads are checked out for 3 days at a time. Three types of NOOKs are available: black & white, color, and tablet versions. The black & white and color NOOKs are pre-loaded with eBook titles, while the tablets function like an iPad mini. Students checking out devices will be required to sign an agreement, display their current class schedule, and show their student ID and driver's license at the time of checkout.

How can I find the research website built specifically for my class?

The library builds special research sites for individual classes and entire degree programs. These sites are called LibGuides or Library Guides. You can access a complete listing of all LibGuides

How long can I keep library materials and are there any overdue fees?
A complete breakdown of library lending periods and overdue fees are as follows:

  • Circulating Books: 3 weeks/1 renewal $.10 per day overdue fee
  • Reference Books: library use only
  • Reserve Materials: 3 hours/library use only/no renewal $.25 per hour overdue fee
  • Magazines: library use only
  • Study Rooms: 3 hours/no renewal $.25 per hour overdue fee
  • Circulating DVDs: 21 days/1 renewal $.10 per day overdue fee
  • Popular Movies: 3 days/no renewal $.25 per day overdue fee
  • Laptops: 3 days/no renewal $10.00 per day overdue fee
  • NOOK eReaders and tablets: 3 weeks/no renewal $10.00 per day overdue fee
  • iPads: 3 days/no renewal $10.00 per day overdue fee

What does it mean when I have a library hold?
In order to borrow from HGTC Library, a patron's account must be cleared of all fines. Student account holds will be placed on every account with overdue books or $5.00 or more in fines. Students with student account holds will be blocked from receiving transcripts, viewing grades, and all borrowing privileges will be revoked. Please see a librarian at the campus nearest you to pay fines for any lost materials and processing charges. When the account is cleared of all fees, student account holds will be removed.

How can I contact the library for assistance when I am unable to visit on campus?
You have multiple ways of receiving assistance from HGTC Library. In addition to visiting any campus library, you can call the library at (843) 349-5268, text us at (843) 375-8552, Tweet us a question, e-mail us at referencedesk@hgtc.edu, find us on Facebook@ hgtclibrary, or Chat Live with a librarian

Does the library offer downloadable eBooks?
Yes. We have downloadable eBooks through our Axis 360 and EBSCO eBook Collection services. Thousands of popular and academic titles are available for download via the eBooks tab on the library website. Titles can be downloaded to a NOOK, smartphone, tablet, or PC.

Does the library offer any private study areas?

Yes. Each campus library offers private study rooms that can hold anywhere from one to four people. Study rooms are checked out to students for a three hour time period with presentation of your Student ID. Additionally, the Conway campus library is equipped with a media:scape unit for group collaboration using laptops and multiple viewing screens.

How do I set up a payment plan?
Students may enroll in a payment plan by taking the following steps after logging into their myHGTC account:

  • Locate the "My Student Account" card on the webpage.
  • Click the link entitled “Login to my Account”.
  • The Student Account Center will be loaded and open in a new window. Select the “Payment Plans” tab at the top of the page.
  • Click “Enroll Now”.
  • Select a term to view available plans.
  • Click “Select” under the action column to review details regarding a specific payment plan.
  • Review the details for the chosen payment plan. To move forward with the enrollment process of the chosen plan, click “Continue” (The total due now listed under the Payment Schedule will be required prior to enrolling in the payment plan.).
  • From this point, you will be able to select a payment method and should continue through the payment process until a confirmation page is viewable.
  • Select the “I agree” and “Continue” option at the bottom of the confirmation page if you agree to the terms and wish to be enrolled in the payment plan.
  • Read more about Payment Plans

How can I complete the Orientation process from home?
NAVIGATE is a mandatory online orientation for new students beginning their educational journey at Horry-Georgetown Technical College. NAVIGATE prepares students for their college experience by introducing them to student services and resources, academic expectations, advising processes and much more. 

The online Orientation process can be completed here.

How do I view degree requirements?
DegreeWorks is an online advising tool to help you and your Student Development Coordinator (advisor) monitor your progress toward degree completion. The DegreeWorks audit matches your coursework (completed, in progress or registered for in the future) to your program requirements in an easy-to-read worksheet. To view your degree requirements in DegreeWorks you will need to follow the steps below.

  • Log in to your myHGTC student portal.
  • Locate the “Degree Works” card.
  • If you do not see this card click on “Discover More”
  • Click on “Degree Works Login”.

Please Note: Your information is refreshed regularly. If it does not look like it is up to date, you may click on the “Process” button.

How do I take Continuing Education classes?
Learn more or call 843-477-2020

Where do I go to request an official copy of my transcript?
Learn more about transcripts or call the registrar at 843-349-5244

What is Student Information Center: TECH Central?
The Student Information Center: TECH Central is a single location that new and prospective students can go to for assistance with questions regarding Horry-Georgetown Technical College, the Admissions process, Financial Aid, technology questions, and much more. A Student Information Center: TECH Central is available at all three campuses.

What are the hours of The Student Information Center: TECH Central?

View hours here times are subject to change.

What sessions are being held in the Student Information Center: TECH Central today?

View the HGTC Events Calendar for a current list of events

Where can I find help with completing my FAFSA?
The Student Information Center: TECH Central staff will be happy to assist you with filling out your FAFSA application online. Be sure to bring your tax documents for the appropriate year we can better assist you.

What additional technologies are available in TECH Central?
We currently have a scanner, camcorder and digital camera available to students. Students are able to check these resources out, as well as, receive assistance with using the equipment.
We welcome students to use the technologies that we have available in the center. We ask that you bring a form of ID to check out any equipment.

I'm looking to transfer to a four year college, where can I get more information about colleges?
Located in the Conway campus Student Information Center: TECH Central, we have a College Corner filled with information pertaining to 4 year colleges. We have applications and information about many schools including Coastal Carolina, Clemson, USC, Lander University, and more! If we do not have information on the college of your choice we will be happy to look it up for you.

What is the Placement Skills Program?
The Placement Skills Program is a program designed to help new and current students who want to either improve their Placement Test scores or gain extra practice before taking the test. It is offered free-of- charge. On the Conway campus, students have access to our experienced Math and English instructors in the Student Information Center: TECH Central. After visiting the Student Information Center: TECH Central to get started, you can schedule tutoring sessions with SSTC Academic Coaches at all three campuses to begin to improve your skills.

What can TECH Central Specialists do to help me?
TECH Central Specialists can assist you with a variety of services, including D2L/myHGTC navigation support, general technology training and assistance for computers and programs, assistance with adding/dropping classes, assisting with setting up payment plans, and checking Financial Aid status online. We also assist students with utilizing PrepSTEP, by Learning Express, for independent personal, academic and technology skill advancement.

What can I print in TECH Central?
Acceptable printing for TECH Central includes documents relating to Admissions, Financial Aid, FAFSA, and Registration Paperwork, as well as Degree Works, Student Advisor Plans, and Student Schedules. Class work, class syllabi, and non-college/personal materials are not allowed.

What is The Student Success and Tutoring Center?
The Student Success and Tutoring Center offers free in-person and online academic tutoring/assistance, college skills coaching, a Math Center, and Writing Center assistance. We also have space to be used for studying and materials, such as science models, to study on campus. Visit myHGTC to schedule your appointments using TutorTrac located in the Student Services tab.

How many appointments can I schedule at one time?
Students may schedule two appointments per academic coach, per campus, per subject. Students may also schedule appointments as much as three weeks in advance. However, students will not be allowed to schedule an appointment with the same academic coach two hours consecutively. You must call to cancel your appointment if you cannot make it on time.

How do I cancel my appointment?
You may cancel and reschedule your appointment through Tutortrac via myHGTC up to 5 hours before your scheduled appointment time. After that point, students are strongly encouraged to call the SSTC as soon as possible to let us know that you will not be able to make your appointment. Missed appointments without notice will not be tolerated.

Am I required to remain in the coaching session for the entire hour?
The length of a coaching session is typically an hour, however, the length can be flexible depending on your needs and questions regarding a particular assignment. We ask that you speak with SSTC staff if you need a shorter session or to request accommodations for longer, more frequent sessions.

Can I obtain 24/7 online academic assistance?
Yes! Visit our website to access all of our online resources for 24/7 online academic assistance and the SSTC Online Resource Center for 24/7 online academic support resources. You may also contact your Campus SSTC if you would like to take advantage of our Campus2Campus virtual assistance. Campus2Campus appointments allow you to connect with an HGTC Coach on any campus from your home or another campus location virtually. Using our contact information on our website, contact your Campus Coordinator for more information.