Technical Advanced Placement (TAP)
Technical Advanced Placement (TAP) is an Advanced Placement (AP) program for high
school students who are enrolled in Career and Technology Education courses —usually
without the requirement of testing.
High school faculty and HGTC faculty meet and review the competencies needed for entry-level college classes to assure that high school programs require the same skills. If they agree that these skills are the same, an agreement is signed for TAP.
Through articulation agreements with Horry and Georgetown County high schools, and Hemingway Career and Technical Center, high school students may receive Technical Advanced Placement (TAP) credit for specific high school courses. This eliminates duplication of courses by allowing students who successfully complete specific high school courses to exempt specific entry-level College courses. TAP credit may be awarded for satisfactory completion of several C.A.T.E. courses in schools in Horry and Georgetown counties.
Interested high school students should contact their high school guidance offices, and follow the TAP procedures for submitting records to HGTC, to determine eligibility and prepare for successful articulation.
- Save money on college tuition, fees, and books
- Accelerate progress to college completion
- Reduce duplication of instruction
- Provides opportunities for expanded program content
- Improves job-readiness skills
- Improves job-placement potential
- Earn college credit at no cost while in High School
- Motivates students to continue education
Who is Eligible?
High School students can take certain high school courses and complete specific requirements
to receive TAP credit at HGTC. The Articulation Agreements below detail what courses
are offered at each high school. These courses may fill a skill requirement or serve
as electives, both of which help you to meet graduation requirements. You are awarded
credit for the course and are not required to retake the course at HGTC if all requirements
have been met.
In order to enroll in the TAP program a student must:
- Master the skills and competencies of the high school course(s).
- Earn the required grade for the course as listed in the Articulation Agreement.
- Receive a Teacher Recommendation form from the high school teacher.
- Submit the completed Teacher Recommendation form to the HGTC Admissions Office.
- Apply to HGTC by submitting the Admission Application, plus the $30 application fee, official high school transcript, and placement test information.
Note: Students must enroll at HGTC within 18 months following graduation, and submit
the Teacher Recommendation form to the Admissions office, to be eligible for TAP
How Do I Get Credit?
- A student must apply to HGTC (complete the application process and pay the $30 fee), and register (which includes payment of tuition) in order for TAP credits to be accepted and entered on the student's transcript. The course will show on the transcript with the grade symbol “T,” which means the student earns the credit hours but no grade is calculated.
- HGTC will award credit to students who enroll within 18 months of their graduation date and who have the TAP Teacher Recommendation form on file in the HGTC Admissions Office. The Teacher Recommendation form acknowledges that the student has completed the required course(s) and met the minimum grade requirement. This form should be completed at the time the student completes the course; a copy is then given to the student and to the high-school guidance office.
- Each student is responsible for submitting the Teacher Recommendation form to the HGTC Admissions Office at the time of application for admission.
Note: TAP credits may transfer from HGTC to other technical colleges and, possibly, to some
senior institutions; however, that is the decision of the receiving transfer institution.
Students should contact the admissions office at the transferring institution for
more information about transferring courses. Transfer information may also be found
For more information:
Contact your High school Guidance Counselor or Contact PACE@hgtc.edu.
- Barnwell County Schools
- Florence School District 1
- Hemingway Career and Technology Center
- Horry County
- Georgetown County