The Technical Scholars Program
The Technical Scholars program at HGTC is designed for high school students who are interested in careers in STEM, advanced manufacturing and healthcare related fields.
Advantages of the Technical Scholars Program
- Earn credits now that apply to high school and college degree requirements;
- Provide a smooth transition from high school to college;
- Ability to obtain national certification to assist with job placement opportunities upon graduation;
- Reduce overall college costs significantly.
In order to be eligible, students must be able to complete his/her high school graduation requirements within the parameters of the program (two courses at the high school per semester) and meet admissions requirements through HGTC.
- Technical Scholars - Welding
- Technical Scholars - Patient Care & Medical Assistant
- Technical Scholars - Welding
- Technical Scholars - Mechatronics
- Technical Scholars - Machine Tool Technology
How to Enroll in the Technical Scholars Program
- Students should contact their high school Guidance Counselor to obtain the Technical
Scholars/Dual Enrollment Application Packet.
- Complete a HGTC Dual Enrollment Application for Admission and Return to Your High
The SC residency section on the application must be completed.
- Submit the completed FAFSA Waiver with required signatures to your High School Counselor.
- Submit ACT, SAT, or ACCUPLACER test scores.
Schedule an appointment with the testing center. After testing, turn in your scores to your school counselor.
- Work with your High School Guidance Counselor to select the courses for registration.
- Complete the Academic Testing & Course Recommendation section of the Dual Enrollment
Your school counselor or home-school parent will complete and sign this section.
- Review and sign the HGTC Dual Enrollment Attendance Agreement on page 2 of the application.
- Student and parent or guardian must sign the agreement.
SC Lottery Tuition Assistance
- State regulations require students who have completed high school to submit a FAFSA
(Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility for SC Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTA). However, students enrolled in high school may sign a FAFSA waiver and be
eligible for LTA. This FAFSA Waiver is included in the Technical Scholar Application
packet and must be submitted. LTA is not based on financial need and covers over 60%
of tuition costs
- Technical Scholars students are eligible for SC Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTA),
upon meeting qualifications set by the State and enrolling in a minimum of 6 credits
- Eligibility for the LIFE or Palmetto scholarships is not impacted by receiving LTA
prior to graduation.
- Early High School Completers: Upon graduation from high school, students cannot receive LTA and LIFE/Palmetto in the same academic year. For example, Early Completers who graduate high school mid-year may not receive LTA in the fall (enrolled in Technical Scholars classes during high-school) and LIFE in the spring (their first semester of college post high-school graduation)
Important Note: The grades of college courses completed in high school will affect your class standing and/or GPA and, accordingly, will affect your eligibility for LIFE and other merit-based scholarships following graduation.