The Technical Scholars Program
The Technical Scholars program at HGTC is designed for high school students who are interested in careers in STEM, advanced manufacturing and healthcare related fields.
Advantages of the Technical Scholars Program
- Earn credits now that apply to high school and college degree requirements;
- Provide a smooth transition from high school to college;
- Ability to obtain national certification to assist with job placement opportunities upon graduation;
- Reduce overall college costs significantly.
In order to be eligible, students must be able to complete his/her high school graduation requirements within the parameters of the program and meet admissions requirements through HGTC.
- Technical Scholars - Welding
* For students attending an Horry County high school, please refer to the district information.
- Technical Scholars - HVAC
- Technical Scholars - Machine Tool Technology
- Technical Scholars - Mechatronics
- Technical Scholars - Nursing Pathways
- Technical Scholars - Teacher Education
- Technical Scholars - Welding
How to Enroll in the Technical Scholars Program
- Students should contact their high school Counselor to obtain the Technical Scholars/Dual
Enrollment Application Packet.
- Complete a HGTC dual enrollment application for admission and return to your high
The SC residency section on the application must be completed.
- All students must submit a FAFSA Waiver annually in their myHGTC account. Students
in SC WINS qualifying majors must submit a SC WINS Affidavit.
- Submit qualifying ACT or SAT scores to your counselor. If you have not taken either of these or your scores do not meet the minimum requirements, HGTC will use Multiple Measures or a combination of the two as a means for admission and placement during the enrollment process. High school transcripts will be reviewed by Dual Enrollment staff to admit students and place students into technical scholars courses.
SC Lottery Tuition Assistance
- State regulations require students who have completed high school to submit a FAFSA
(Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine eligibility for SC Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTA). However, students enrolled in high school may sign a FAFSA waiver and be eligible
for LTA. This FAFSA Waiver is included in the Technical Scholar Application packet
and must be submitted. LTA is not based on financial need.
- Technical Scholars students are eligible for SC Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTA),
upon meeting qualifications set by the State and enrolling in a minimum of 6 credits
- Eligibility for the LIFE or Palmetto scholarships is not impacted by receiving LTA
prior to graduation.
- Early High School Completers: Upon graduation from high school, students cannot receive LTA and LIFE/Palmetto in the same academic year. For example, Early Completers who graduate high school mid-year may not receive LTA in the fall (enrolled in Technical Scholars classes during high-school) and LIFE in the spring (their first semester of college post high-school graduation)
The SC•WINS Scholarship is available to Dual Enrollment students who are already receiving a Lottery Tuition Assistance Program Scholarship (LTAP) for the current academic year and majoring in a critical workforce area as defined by the State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education. An additional affidavit will need to be completed and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.
Important Note: The grades of college courses completed in high school will affect your class standing and/or GPA and, accordingly, will affect your eligibility for LIFE and other merit-based scholarships following graduation.