SSTC Writing Center
The writing center is a function of the SSTC that provides support for ANY assignment that has a written component. This includes, but is not limited to:
|1. Paragraphs||2. Essays||3. Research Papers|
|4. Speeches||5. Presentations||6. Lab Reports|
|7. Business Letters||8. Annotated Bibliographies|
What services do Writing Center Coaches offer?
- Providing direct feedback/guidance on completed or partially completed written assignments
- Help students to develop writing skills through practice exercises and one-to-one support
- Support with Citations and Writing Style requirements such as MLA, APA, & Chicago/Turabian Style
- General English support such as Grammar, Sentence Skills, & Critical Thinking in paper writing
- Help with developing ideas and outlines for papers that have not been started yet
Common Myths about the Writing Center:
- Myth: Writing Center Support is only available for English classes
- Truth: Writing Center Support is available for any written assignment regardless of what class it is for
- Myth: The Writing Center will edit your assignments for you
- Truth: The Writing Center will provide feedback so you can learn and edit your own assignment
- Myth: The Writing Center can only provide help for MLA Citations
- Truth: The Writing Center can help you regardless of the citation style required by your class and formatting manuals are available for student use
How do I access writing center support?
Writing Center support is available for all classes
To receive support, simply contact the SSTC or use TutorTrac to book an appointment with a Writing Center Coach.
Appointments can be completed in person, or by over-the-phone/Skype consultations
Make sure to bring a copy of your assignment, as well as the instructions provided by your professor.
Helpful Links and Resources:
SSTC Online Resource Center - Helpful links, guides, and video tutorials
TutorTrac - Online portal for making tutoring appointments
Purdue OWL - Online guide for different writing styles
GrammarBytes - Free grammar training website
NoodleBib - Free Bibliography/Works Cited assistance website
Here's what people are saying about the writing center:
"I am beyond satisfied, [SSTC Coach] helped me to construct a better paper." - March 2017
"[SSTC Coach] is so helpful. I am able to focus on my research paper and actually get my thoughts out" - Nov. 2016
"[SSTC Coach] gave me extremely good advice for editing my essay. I would recommend him to any other student who had trouble with English." - Sept. 2016