Mental Health Awareness & Mindfulness
Balancing the struggles of daily and college life can be difficult in the best of times. Now add COVID-19 and it may seem downright impossible! Studies show that there are some stress relieving methods you can use on your own to help alleviate the tension and keep your mind on track. Below are a few self-help resources you can use to maintain your mental health in these trying times.
Yoga & Meditation
Give your mind and body a break with stress-relieving yoga and maintain mindfulness with different meditation methods.
- For beginners or pros, try Yoga with Adriene. Adriene offers yoga for every schedule, with routines ranging from less than 10 minutes up to 30 minutes of stretching and relaxation.
- For a more holistic or traditional approach, check out Akhanda Yoga. This channel also offers yoga for all levels and even includes "yogic techniques to boost your immunity!"
- For calming sounds, daily 10-min meditations, deep breathing and sleep help, subscribe to the Calm channel on YouTube.
Put down your pencils and pick up a paint brush! Expressing yourself through the arts can be an engaging and creative way of maintaining mental wellness. Artistic expression has shown to be associated with significantly lower levels of mental distress. Below are some great resources for releasing your inner artist.
- Coloring is not just for Kindergartners! Bring out your inner child and try one of these adult coloring pages. Mandala Monday gives you a variety of mandalas (a diagram of geometric shapes) or you can go a little more festive with sheets from Crayola.
- For those that are a little more abstract, try watercolor painting with Emma Lefebvre.
- If you really want to get messy try a daily challenge from Wow Art! This YouTube channel has over 180 daily challenges that teach different paint techniques and images.
The Art of Journaling
Put your thoughts down on paper! Expressing yourself through creative writing or journaling is another simple and easy way to wind down from the stresses of life. Whether you record your thoughts for the day or author a great story, your writing skills can be highlighted with these resources.
Did you know?
Journaling notebooks are available at the HGTC Bookstore and can be included with your book order.
The resources mentioned above are available for general and self-help wellness.