Emergency Prevention & Response
Horry-Georgetown Technical College is committed to providing a safe, secure,and welcoming campus environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
The following information highlights measures that are in place at HGTC to prevent and/or respond to emergency situations:
All emergencies are to be reported to HGTC by dialing 911. Dialing 911 on a cell phone, even those registered outside the local 843 area code, will connect to local emergency authorities.
Be prepared to provide the following:
- Your name
- Nature of the Emergency
- Location of the emergency, victim, or suspect or suspicious activity
- The phone number you are calling from
- Stay on the line until the police dispatcher says you can hang up
Campus Public Safety Contact Information:
- Conway Campus
- Grand Strand Campus
- Georgetown Campus
- CCU Dispatch
Reporting Suspicious Behavior
If you witness any behavior they believe may lead to a crime or violent situation,
you situation, you should report it to Campus Police immediately. Such behavior may
include the following:
- Person involved in surveillance activities or taking inappropriate photos/videos
- Suspicious person loitering
- Suspicious person using binoculars or night vision devices
- Odd vehicles or a vehicle not permitted to be on campus
Other personal attributes that might cause reason for further scrutiny:
- Person acting secretively and suspiciously (e.i. trying not to be noticed)
- Person departing quickly when seen or approached
- Person in place they don't seem to belong
- A strong odor coming from a building or a vehicle
- An overloaded vehicle or a vehicle in an unexpected location
- Fluid leaking from a vehicle, other than the engine or gas tank
- Person overdressed for the weather
HGTC Students have multiple avenues for seeking assistance including Student Counseling Services; partnerships and referrals to area resources to get you the assistance that you may need. However, if a student is concerned about another student's pattern of behavior, they can report their concerns to the Office of the Vice President of Student Services.
Such behaviors may include the following:
- Creating disruptions in class, offices, or other campus locations
- Intimidating faculty, staff and/or students
- Acting in a frightening or threatening behavior
- Communicating in a manner that indicates loss of touch with reality
- Suggesting intent to harm self or others
- Evidence of repeated drug or alcohol abuse
- Avoid walking alone at night and attempt to walk on main walkways/illuminated areas
- Maintain a constant awareness of your surrounding
- Keep room doors and vehicles locked
- Do not keep valuables in your vehicle…e.i. wallet, purse, electronic devices, etc.
- Be careful about the information that you share online
- Be smart about alcohol and drugs
- Ask Public Safety for an escort to/from your destination
- Familiarize yourself with call box locations
- Familiarize yourself with the contents of the Emergency Response Manual
- Memorize Public Safety Contact and/or carry information with you at all times.
Your safety and security are important to us at HGTC.
The following on demand videos cover various topics related to your safety and security at HGTC. It is imperative that you familiarize yourself with the content of these videos. More topics will be added in the future.