One of the most pressing needs in higher education today is funding for scholarships. Scholarships allow deserving students to attain their educational goals, meet their professional objectives and succeed to their fullest ability. In addition, scholarships enable practicing professionals to take advantage of opportunities for continuing professional development.
Named scholarships can honor an individual, create a corporate presence at HGTC, and acknowledge the accomplishments and needs of HGTC’s students. They can be established through an endowment or can be funded annually.
Click here for a detailed list of current HGTC Scholarships.
The HGTC Foundation offers the following ways you can establish a scholarship fund:
- Endowed Scholarship
- Exists in perpetuity
- Minimum Investment of $15,000
- This amount can be paid over several years until $15,000 point is reached
- Once $10,000 level is reached; then scholarship distributions will commence (average amount is approximately 5% of corpus value)
- Specific criteria for awarding is set up
- Annual Scholarship
- No minimum dollar amount
- Scholarship is awarded for full amount of donation and can be a single award or several awards expended over time
- Can be a one-time donation, or
- Can set-up a pledge for a set number of years
- Foundation office will send annual reminder for pledge
- Specific criteria for awarding is set up – see attached worksheet
- Combination Endowed/Annual
- Donation can be split between allocation for an endowed scholarship and a yearly annual scholarship award until endowed amount reaches $15,000 threshold.
- For example, for a pledge of $6,000/year for 5 years
- $1,000 per year will be used immediately for an annual award
- Remaining $5,000 will go towards the endowed portion
- Can be spread out over a longer/shorter period of time per donor’s wishes
Student Eligibility Criteria
Some scholarships have no further criteria other than being an HGTC student. How you set up the eligibility criteria is essentially up to you and your family. We will work with you to help create your gift, and at the same time make sure your scholarship truly meets the needs of HGTC students. Here are some options for you to consider.
- Program of study
- Residency; e.g. only for residents of Horry, Georgetown, or other county
- Full or part-time student
- First or second-year student
- Number of credit hours earned in major
- Minimum GPA
- Other requirement; e.g. place of employment, volunteer activities, etc.
If you are interested in establishing a scholarship fund please contact Teresa Bartelotte at (843) 477-2174