HGTC Counseling services strive to optimize student success through managing personal and academic concerns that may interfere with achieving educational goals. Staff are available to every student for assistance and guidance on career exploration, personal matters, academic concerns and other areas of concern.
- Career Assessment & Counseling
- Personal Counseling
- Disability Services
- Student Mental Health & Well Being resources
Choosing or Changing Majors
Unsure about what you want to major in? Meet with one of our experienced career counselors. Through career assessment and counseling, they can help you choose a major that is congruent with your personality type, interests, and goals. They can also show you how to find out crucial information about potential occupations (e.g., projected job outlook and salary information).Thinking about changing your major? Our counselors can help you narrow your focus and make the right choice to lead you toward your desired employment. Changing your major can affect your funding if you receive any type of financial aid including but not limited to: grants, scholarships, lottery tuition assistance, and/or Veteran's benefits. Please check with the Office of Financial Aid before changing your major.
Myers Briggs and Strong Interest Inventory Sample Assessments
Events and experiences in our personal lives directly impact our ability to succeed in our academic lives. Counseling staff are available to assist students with finding community and college resources.
- Rape Crisis Center: Horry and Georgetown Counties: 24-hour crisis hotline: 843-448-7273
- Shoreline Behavioral Health Services
- Alanon-Alateen (support group for family of alcoholics): 843-449-0187
- Alcoholics Anonymous: 843-445-7119
- Narcotics Anonymous: 843-449-6262
- Gamblers Anonymous: 843-692-9335 or 877-864-4427
- Conway: Lori Malkasian Career/Personal Counseling/Disability Services 843-349-5309
- Conway: Jason F. Clemons Career/Personal Counseling/Disability Services 843-349-7587
- Grand Strand: Jim Ratliff, Disability Services/Career Counseling, 843-477-2055
- Georgetown: Jaime Davis, Disability Services/Career Counseling 843-520-1403