ADN Nursing Online Information Session
Associate Degree Nursing (RN)
The Associate Degree in Nursing Program is a 5 semester program that begins every Fall semester (on the Georgetown & Grand Strand Campus) and every Spring semester (on the Grand Strand Campus) Admission is based on weighted criteria.
- March 1 –31 for admission into the Fall semester (accept 48 students at Georgetown and 40 at Grand Strand)
- August 1 –31 for admission into the Spring semester (accept 64 students)
To apply to the program students have two options:
Option 1: Must have at least a 2.75 GPA (transfer grades included) after completing the following prerequisites*:
- BIO 210
- BIO 211 (5 yr. time limit)
- BIO 225 (5 yr. time limit)
- ENG 101
- ENG 102
- PSY 201
- SPC 205
- Humanities of your choice**
- MAT 110 or 120 (10 yr. time limit)
**Prerequisites for the above courses may include: BIO 112 or 101, ENG 100, and MAT 101 with the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on placement test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission to the college
**Humanities: ART 101, ART 105, ART 108, ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 205, ENG 206, ENG 208,
ENG 209, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 201, HIS 202, MUS 105, PHI 101, PHI 110, REL 103, THE
Option 2: Taking the Test of Essential Academic Skills -TEAS V
This option is available to students who have not completed the 9 Nursing core courses but meet the following requirements:
- Student must be eligible for BIO210, ENG101, and MAT120 or MAT110.
- Have taken the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) with a minimum score of 70
- Have at least a 2.75 GPA (transfer grades included) within their Nursing core courses completed so far. (BIO and MAT time limits apply.)
The TEAS is a 4 hour computer-based test that covers Math, English, and Science. The
test is offered at the Grand Strand campus on Saturdays from 9:00am-1:00pm.
Register here $71 fee; scores are valid for 2 years. Students may retest every 3 months. Failure to wait three months to retest will cause new score to be invalid. Study guides are available in the campus bookstore, campus library, www.atitesting.com, and www.Amazon.com
Weighted Values for the selection process
|Option A||Option B|
|Composite TEAS Score of||Points Earned||Completed 9 Nursing core courses GPA||Points Earned|
|AHS 126 Health Calculations Course||AHS 126 Health Calculations Course|
|Grade of "A" (first attempt)||2||Grade of "A" (first attempt)||2|
|Grade of "B" (first attempt)||1||Grade of "B" (first attempt)||1|
|Completed at least 8 credit hours of the 9 Nursing core courses (BIO210, BIO211, BIO225, ENG101, ENG102, MAT110/120, PSY201, SPC205, and Humanities) from HGTC or CCU|
|Horry or Georgetown County Resident (as established by the College)||1||Horry or Georgetown County Resident (as established by the College)||1|
|Total Points||Total Points|
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page
- Applications must be submitted to the Admissions office on any campus during the application period to be considered. Early, late, or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit.
The following requirements must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Nursing program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening – $106.00. This will be required each semester that you are in the program.
- Complete Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Complete and pass the General Hospital Orientation.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Nursing program is limited and competitive. There is no guarantee of acceptance. Your grades or TEAS score are very important. Even though the minimum GPA requirement is 2.75 you should strive for a much higher GPA to be competitive.
- AHS 126 is not a required course but will give extra points on your application. It
is highly recommended that you take this course before applying for the Nursing program.
Must have an A or B in the course to receive points.
Beginning September 1, 2015, the Nursing Department will only accept the First Attempt (excluding withdrawals) in Health Calculations (AHS 126) when reviewing program applications. Therefore if you are retaking AHS 126 to earn points on your Nursing application because you previously earned a B or lower, please note this second attempt will not count.
- Other expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: $500 deposit to reserve your seat, purchasing scrubs and shoes, gas and transportation to clinical sites, Licensing Exam fees of $200 -$300, purchasing a background check every semester.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will attend 5 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- Clinicals will vary by semester but may require 1-2 days a week. Students may have to travel up to a 100 mile radius to fulfill clinical requirements.
- PSY 203 and AHS 108 are not required for admission or completion of the program. However, most colleges require them for completion of a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing. It is recommended that you complete these courses before entering the program.
- Completion of your Associate in Science with Health Science Emphasis is recommended if planning to obtain a BSN at CCU. MAT 120 is required to obtain a BSN at CCU.
- HGTC reserves the right to change the Admission requirements at any time. You will be required to adhere to any changes that are made at the time you submit your application.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Nursing program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: