New Student College Admissions
1. Submit an Application
Complete and submit the Application online.
Each application must be submitted along with a $30 non-refundable application fee. Acceptable forms of payment are Visa, MasterCard, Discover or electronic check. Online applications that do not have a valid form of payment will not be processed.
2. Begin the Financial Aid Process
No matter how you intend to pay for tuition and fees, begin the Financial Aid application process when you apply to HGTC. Learn More about Financial Aid »
3. Submit Transcripts
Request that your high school and/or college(s) mail an official transcript to the HGTC Admissions Office at:
Horry Georgetown Technical College Admissions
PO Box 261966
Conway, SC 29528-6066
4. Submit Test Scores
New Students who are required to take the compass placement test must first participate in the Start Right Experience, which is offered in-person or online. The Start Right Experience is designed to ensure success in placement testing and prepare you to enter the college environment. Visit WaveNet Central for in-person sessions, or complete The Start Right Experience online.
The COMPASS placement test is available for first-time college students or transfer students who have not yet had college-level English or math. You can take the COMPASS test in any one of HGTC's Testing Centers. SAT and/or ACT scores less than 5 years old are acceptable in place of COMPASS scores. Learn more about the COMPASS Placement Test and the Testing Center.
5. Complete any Additional Admissions RequirementsSome academic programs have additional requirements, such as background checks and physical-ability assessments
Here are links to the most common forms:
6. Meet with a New Student Enrollment Advisor
The Academic Advising staff will help you create your schedule of classes, so make sure you see an advisor as soon as you have completed the admissions process and received an acceptance letter. New Student Enrollment Advisors see students on a walk-in basis all year long, so there's no need for an appointment. However, please try to avoid the busiest time, which is right before the beginning of each semester.
For more information and to schedule an appointment contact:
Building 1100, Room 120
Grand Strand Campus
Building 200, Room 117
7. Attend an Orientation Session
Many new students are required to attend an HGTC orientation session, known as OCEANS, to help make a successful transition to college. This orientation will allow new students to:
- Learn about campus resources designed to help you reach goals.
- Learn about book purchasing, tuition payments, student parking, safety, HGTC email, the academic calendar, and much more.
- Have an opportunity to have questions about HGTC answered.
- Meet other new and current students, as well as faculty and staff members.
- Learn how and why to use WaveNet, HGTC's online campus-information center.
- Gain a better understanding of HGTC's policies and procedures.
In person OCEANS sessions are offered often prior to the beginning of each semester. You must sign up in advance for the OCEANS session that you want to attend. Click here to register.