Testing Centers are operated on all campuses and offer proctored testing services for students, college employees, and community members in a controlled, secure testing environment during operational hours. All users are required to present a photo ID and applicable fee receipts prior to testing. Children are not allowed to accompany students into the Testing Center. We subscribe to the National College Testing Association Professional Standards and Guidelines for Post-Secondary Testing Centers. The College Testing Center is a member of the NCTA Consortium of College Testing Centers.
Testing candidates needing to schedule appointments for any testing service can process their request online by going to the Testing Center web page at www.hgtc.edu/testing, or in WaveNet under the Testing Center tab. Once you complete the process and pay necessary fees, if applicable, you will receive a confirmation of your appointment. Please bring your confirmation with you on appointment day.
Testing candidates with approved accommodations should contact the Testing Center at which they are registered for arrangements.
College Placement Testing
The college placement test is a computerized adaptive testing system used to place students in appropriate college-level courses. It is designed to help determine a student’s strengths and needs in the areas of Reading, Writing, and Math basic skills. College placement testing is provided free of charge as a service to prospective students, and an appointment is needed. A retest fee may be applicable.
A paper-and-pencil version of the placement test used to determine student strengths and needs in Reading, Writing, and Math basic skills. This testing is provided free of charge as a service to prospective students, and an appointment is needed. This test is also available in alternate formats for students requesting accommodations.
The Start Right Experience
ALL students must participate in The Start Right Experience, which is offered in-person or online before registering for the placement test. The Start Right Experience is designed to ensure success in placement testing and provide preparation to enter the college environment.
Visit The Student Information Center: WaveNet Central for in-person sessions, or complete The Start Right Experience online at www.hgtc.edu/startright.
Online and Make-Up Testing
The Testing Center administers online and makeup tests for students who have professors’ approval. There is no charge for this service.
Where can I find test prep resources?
Scheduling an Appointment
Testing candidates must make their appointments 24 hours in advance. Same day appointments are NOT accepted. To schedule your appointment please select desired campus below. Testing candidates with approved accommodations should contact the Testing Center at which they are registered for arrangements.
All services available through HGTC Testing Center’s require an appointment. HGTC recommends that testing candidates using our testing center scheduler use the following browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox - version 27 or later
- Google Chrome - version 33 or greater
- Microsoft Internet Explorer on Windows 7 - version 11 or later
- Apple Safari - version 7 or later
Testing Center Rules and Regulations
- Testing candidate must present a photo ID prior to testing.
- Testing candidate must provide required testing information which may include the course name, number, and instructor's name for each test they take.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Testing Centers.
- Children are not allowed to accompany testing candidate into the Testing Centers and may not be left unattended in the lobby or hallway while the candidate is testing.
- Cell phones and other mobile devices are not allowed in the testing room.
- Books, dictionaries, calculators, notes, etc., are not allowed in the testing room unless specified by the instructor.
- NOTE: Absolutely no test/exam will be administered 45 minutes prior to the Testing Center closing.
Testing Services for testing candidates requesting accommodations are provided by Disability Services on the Conway, Grand Strand, or Georgetown Campuses.
Online Proctored Exam:
Beginning Fall 2016, HGTC will offer an online proctored exam option through the Remote Proctor Now (RPNow) service. RPNow is an online option for secure examination delivery at a distance. Using a standard computer webcam with a high speed internet connection, students now have the ability to take a proctored exam online. Remote Proctor NOW helps maintain the integrity of an exam by authenticating the identity of the test taker and capturing the entire exam session through video which is later reviewed by certified proctors and faculty.
Is there a Cost for the Service?
There is a cost associated with Remote Proctor NOW. A student will be charged per exam. The cost is $15/exam when paying online using a credit or debit card, or Paypal. Or a student may purchase a voucher at the bookstore for $18/exam.
Is this option available for my Course?
Students, please check with your instructor to see if this option is available for your course.
How do I access RPNow?
Students: Click here for a guide to help you perform a software and system check to ensure your computer meets the minimum requirements to use RPNow. Once past the System Check, you will be directed to the software install page. Click here to access RPNow
- Schedule exam in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with the RPNow testing procedures, to include which forms of ID are required and any associated fees.
- Pay any testing fees, if applicable.
- Be aware of time limits on your exams and keep track of the time.
- Be aware of and follow the Academic Integrity policies.
- If unusual circumstances occur, please contact your Instructor as soon as possible.
- Contact the Instructor with any questions.