The mission of Horry Georgetown Technical College is to provide accessible, affordable, high-quality, comprehensive two-year collegiate education and workforce development; to provide a student centered environment and inspire lifelong learning; to promote learning through teaching excellence; to promote community service and embrace diversity; to promote economic growth; and to embrace technological innovation in instruction and workplace applications.
Since its creation in 1966, Horry-Georgetown Technical College has continued to provide post-secondary certificate, diploma, and associate degree programs leading directly to securing or continuing employment; degree programs which enable students to access other post-secondary education; and workforce development programs to meet the needs of job training, occupational advancement, licensing, and certification.
As a member of the South Carolina Technical College System, the College is a public, two-year technical college, enrolling 7,500 to 9,000 college credit curriculum students during the fall semester and providing non-credit courses and programs for workforce development and job training. The College primarily provides services to the individuals and employers of Horry and Georgetown Counties, but also offers programs to meet regional, national, and international needs. The College values partnerships with business, industry, community agencies, and other educational and governmental institutions which support the growth and development of the community.
The faculty's primary function is to ensure student learning and academic goal achievement through innovative teaching that integrates theory and application. The College provides student services to support individual and educational goals. The College endeavors to fulfill its mission by fostering the belief that all people should have equal opportunity for personal and professional growth in leading to a productive and meaningful life. The College respects every member of the college community and is committed to fairness in its educational endeavors.
Approved by HGTC Area Commission, February 12, 2013, Approved by S.C. Commission
on Higher Education, March 22, 2013
HGTC Mission, Vision & Values
Horry Georgetown Technical College will be recognized as a leader in workforce development,
intellectual growth, and life improvement.
To fulfill its mission, Horry Georgetown Technical College is committed to the following values:
- Caring - We embrace a customer focus through commitment to individual needs and user satisfaction, and accept responsible stewardship of the resources entrusted upon us.
- Collaboration - We develop and nurture partnerships among student, faculty, staff, and community to promote open and effective communication, decision-making, and implementation of ideas and processes.
- Excellence - We set high and challenging standards for teaching and professional practices, advocate continuous improvement of programs and services, and encourage a results-oriented organization.
- Honor - We promote and foster openness, respect, and fairness in personal and professional
interactions, and exemplify the highest standards in ethics and institutional
- Inclusion - We recognize individual differences and choices, and support a college environment in which all members can grow in their personal and professional lives.