International Student Admissions | Horry Georgetown Technical College

International Student Admissions

Horry Georgetown Technical College
What type of student are you?

International Student Admissions

Horry Georgetown Technical College welcomes international students who wish to pursue collegiate-level study in the United States. HGTC’s International Advising staff will help international applicants complete the documents that are required to secure an F-1 Student visa. Assistance is also available for international students who wish to transfer to Horry Georgetown Technical College from another college in the United States or who wish to change their current visa status to F-1 Student.

Information for Prospective International Students

For additional information please contact the International Student Advisor

  • Step 1. Submit the application.

    You can choose one of the following methods:

    Horry Georgetown Technical College
    P.O. Box 261966
    Conway, SC 29528-6066

    Each application must be submitted along with a non-refundable $30 fee.


    • After your application is complete, you will receive your HGTC student ID number, called an “H-number”. Be sure to make a copy of this number for your home and carry your H-number card when you’re on campus
    • You will also receive a Username and Password for access to WaveNet, the college-information site. You will have a WaveNet account so that you can check financial aid, account balance, grades, email, and much more. On each campus, WaveNet Central can assist you in navigating this useful site.
  • Step 2. If English is not your primary language, you must submit proof of your English-language proficiency.

    A minimum computer-based score of 173, Internet-based score of 61, or paper-based score of 500 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required. If you are already in the United States, you may elect to take the ACCUPLACER Placement Test as an alternative to TOEFL.

  • Step 3. Provide copies of current visa and passport documents, including both sides of the I-94 card.

  • Step 4. Provide a certified English-language transcript of high school/secondary school records.

    Request your high school to forward an official transcript of your coursework to World Education Services.

  • Step 5. Attend an Advisement Session.

    Your Enrollment Advisor can help you fulfill the admissions requirements, so be sure to visit a New Student Enrollment Center early in the process. Advisors see students on a walk-in basis all year long, so there's no need for an appointment. However, please try to avoid the busiest time, which is right before the beginning of each semester. Contact a New Student Advisor.

    If you have questions about the advisement process, email the staff at

  • Step 6. International student applicants are required to submit a Certification of Financial Support.

    This form documents that you have financial resources adequate to cover tuition and expenses during your program of study. This form is in your International Student packet and should be completed by your sponsor or by your bank, if you are self-supporting. It can be mailed or faxed to the college; if faxed, the original should follow by mail.

    After being admitted to HGTC, international students are required to pay a two-semester tuition deposit. This deposit will be used to pay tuition and fees for the first two semesters of enrollment and is fully refundable if you decide not to study at HGTC.

    When the deposit is paid, the SEVIS Form 1-20 will be issued; this is the form you will use to request an F-1 Student Visa. F-1 visa applicants must pay a $200 fee at least 3 business days before applying for a visa. Go to to apply.

  • Step 7. Complete Additional Forms.

    Prospective international students currently in the United States with a valid visa other than F-1 Student must also complete the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539 ( and submit the $370 fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

  • Step 8. Take College Placement Tests.

    All new HGTC students, including international students, are required to take the college placement tests (ACCUPLACER) in reading, writing, and mathematics prior to choosing courses and registering for classes.

    Developmental coursework is available for students who require further skill-building prior to enrolling in credit-bearing courses.

New Student Deadline

International students are expected to start in either fall or spring semesters. The completed application must be received by July 1 for the fall term and November 15 for the spring term. Applications received after these deadlines will be considered on a space available basis. 

Transfer student Deadline

Two weeks prior to start date of classes