The HGTC workstudy program
Build your resume and earn money in the workstudy program at HGTC!
- Do I need any special documents to apply for work study? Any student applying for work study must begin the process in the Career Resource Center. The process starts with the employment application and an interview if you are eligible for work study. If you are offered employment after the interview, you will need to complete the PT employee packet through the college’s HR department and a background check. You must visit the CRC to pick up a referral form before going to the Human Resources (HR) department. HR will not process your packet without a referral form from the Career Resource Center. In order to complete the process, you will need a state issued ID card (ex. Driver’s license or state ID card), social security card (or apply for one with proof of application), and a voided check (for direct deposit of your payroll).
- Are the work study schedules flexible and how long do they last? Yes, that’s the beauty of work study. Your work schedule is coordinated with your immediate supervisor and is based upon your available times outside of class hours. In other words, the position works around your class schedule. Students are expected to show up for the work hours they have committed to for the shifts needed. Any changes must be discussed with your supervisor in advance of your daily work hours. Work study placements lasts as long as you are eligible for financial aid and show satisfactory progress and high quality work ethics. Students tend to keep the same position for as long as they are enrolled at the school. Positions are available each semester.
- How will I know if I am eligible for work study? The Career Resource Center works in collaboration with the Financial Aid office to determine your work study eligibility. Eligibility is determined by your financial aid award. Your work study award is affected by the amount of “unmet need” you have available after you accept or decline your financial awards such as student loans, Pell and need-based grants, lottery, scholarships, and etc.
- How much and when does work study pay? The hourly wages for work study are $9.00 per hour for on-campus positions and $10.00 per hour for off-campus positions. The number of hours you are allowed to work depends upon your work study eligibility. Most students are eligible to work between 15-25 hours per week. Students are paid on the 15th of every month.
- How long does the process take? It takes about 7-10 days to complete the work study process from application to placement. The earlier you apply, the quicker we can place you, and the speedier the process.
Apply for Work Study