The Honors Program
The mission of the Honors Program is to augment the learning environment for exceptional students at Horry-Georgetown Technical College by means of exposure to rigorous in-class and out-of-class learning opportunities, mentoring in learning opportunities in order to raise their community and global awareness, and a milieu that creates students who are intellectual and diverse leaders.
Benefits for Honors Program students:
- Faculty Mentors
- Showcasing through an Honors Bulletin
- Small classes w/cohorts
- Opportunity to attend and present at regional/national conferences
- Recognition at Graduation
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
- Current HGTC Students enrolled in The Associate of Arts (AAA4) or Associate of Science (AAS5), incoming High School, and Transfer Students.
Admissions Criteria for Current/Transfer HGTC Students:
- GPA of at least 3.5 (minimum 12 credits in university transferable courses)
Admissions requirements for High School Students
- One of the following:
A high school GPA of at least 3.5, or
A combined score of 1200 on SAT (Math & Verbal + Critical Reading only), or
Score of 26 or above on the ACT
Apply Now > Download Application here
Honors Course Offerings:
BIO 101: Biological Sciences I, CHM 110: College Chemistry I, ENG 101: English Composition I, MAT 120: Probability and Statistics, SOC 101: Introduction to Sociology
Frequently Asked Questions about the Honors Program:
Q1. How does the Honors Program benefit me, as a student?
- Opportunities to participate in regional honors conference.
- Faculty mentors
- Small class sizes with more in depth curricula.
- Upon completion of the program, Recognition at graduation, as well as denotation on academic transcript.
Q2. How many honors courses may I take each semester?
- It is expected that each student within the program enroll and complete 2 honors courses per semester, as appropriate
- Enrollment in additional courses will require authorization by the Associate Vice President/Dean of Academic Affairs, Candace Howell.
Q3: What is needed to stay in Good Standing?
- Good Standing is defined as completing two honors courses each semester, and maintaining a 3.5 GPA in both the honors courses, as well as the overall GPA.
Q4: What if I fall below the requirements of Good Standing?
- You will have one semester to restore your GPA to a minimum of 3.5. Failure to do so, forfeits your continued enrollment within the Honors Program.
Q5: What do I need to do to qualify for consideration for the program?
- You must be a Currently Enrolled HGTC Student within the Associate of Arts (AAA4) or Associate of Science (AAS5) degree programs.
- You must have a GPA at HGTC of at least 3.5 with a minimum of 12 credits in university transferable courses.
Q6: What do I need to do to apply to the Honors Program?
- The deadline for Honors applications for Fall 2021 is Friday, August 20th, 2021.
- Complete the Honors Program Application Package, along with the required documentation, and email to Laura Sarvis, Chair of the Honors College Program, or mail to:
Professor Laura Sarvis
Horry-Georgetown Technical College
Building 300, Rm 319
2050 Highway 501 East
Conway, SC 29528