HGTC Honors Program
The mission of the Honors Program is to augment the learning environment for exceptional students at Horry-Georgetown Technical College by means of exposure to rigorous in-class and out-of-class learning opportunities, mentoring in learning opportunities to raise community and global awareness, and a milieu that creates students who are intellectual and diverse leaders.
Who Is Eligible to Apply?
HGTC students who are currently enrolled in either an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science program including transfer students and dual enrollment students are eligible to apply for the HGTC Honors Program.
Minimum Admissions Criteria:
The student must be enrolled in either an AA or AS Program of Study and at least 1 of the following:
- College GPA of at least 3.5 with 12 or more university transferable credit hours
- High school unweighted GPA of at least 3.5
- ACT Score of 26 or above
- SAT combined score of 1200+ (Math & Verbal Combined)
Once accepted into the program, students are expected to complete at least 1 honors course per semester (Fall and Spring). Two honors courses are allowed and encouraged within a semester, but enrollment in more than 2 honors courses in a semester would require authorization by the Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs / Dean School of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Candace Howell.
The specific courses to fulfill the minimum requirements below would be chosen from the AA/AS degree requirements. We are currently offering Honors Courses through a contract model where the professor and student develop a contract of expectations to receive honors credit for the course. The Honors Course Contract would be completed by the professor and signed by the student at the beginning of the course. Evidence of contract completion would be provided near the end of the course.
Honors Program Coordinator, Professor Laura Sarvis, will be available to assist with course selection during the advisement periods.
Honors Curriculum Minimum Requirements
To remain in “good standing,” honors students must:
- complete at least one honors course each semester with at least a 3.0 GPA in that course
- maintain at least a 3.5 GPA in the honors courses if multiple honors courses are taken in a semester
- maintain a 3.5 overall GPA
Students who fall out of “good standing” will be placed on probation and will be given one semester to return to “good standing” status. Failure to do so will result in forfeited enrollment in the HGTC Honors Program.
Upon completion of the program, honors students will receive recognition at graduation as well as denotation on their academic transcript.
Benefits for Honors Program Students
- Recognition at Graduation for program completors
- Denotation on the Academic Transcript
- Early Registration for classes
- Faculty Mentors
- Smaller classes with cohorts
- Recognition in local media
- Opportunities to attend/present at regional/national conferences
- If accepted into the CCU Honors College, students may transfer up to 18 hours of honors level credit from HGTC
If you meet the criteria listed above and are interested in applying for the HGTC Honors Program, please complete the Honors application.