We are ecstatic to report that our Upward Bound grant has been refunded for the next 5 years! Thank you to our students, families, alumni, partnering schools and community. We are so happy to be able to continue to serve Loris High and Carvers Bay High Schools. A special thank you to HGTC for supporting us for the past 15 years and we look forward to the next 5!
Upward Bound provides academic and cultural support to students who are preparing for college by offering opportunities that will help them succeed in high school and higher education. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which students complete high school, then enroll in and graduate from colleges and universities.
Since Upward Bound began in this area in 2003, it has achieved impressive results:
- 95% of participants graduate from high school
- 90% remain in the program from year to year
- 85% enter college after high school
Projects and Services
Upward Bound projects provide academic instruction in:
- Laboratory sciences
- Foreign languages
Upward Bound services include:
- Year-round tutoring in reading, study skills, computer skills, math, science, and foreign languages
- Year-round enrichment activities, such as attending plays, concerts, and restaurants
- A six-week Summer Session that includes academic instruction, as well as cultural tours and visits to college campuses
- College-preparation assistance with admissions forms, financial aid, financial literacy, and scholarships
- Career exploration to help students focus on developing lifelong goals
- Technology-literacy workshops to improve computer skills and to involve students in collaborative, project-based learning
- College and corporate visits
- Recreational and cultural field trips
- ACT workshops and other academic workshops
Who is Eligible for Upward Bound?
- High-school students from Loris High School and Carvers Bay High School who meet income eligibility
- High-school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree.
To be admitted to Upward Bound, students must:
- Be currently enrolled in grades 9-12
- Be interested in continuing their education after high school
- Be willing to participate in all aspects of the Upward Bound program.
|Dr. Beverly McCain, Director
Office: (843) 349-7842
Cell: (843) 251-7748
Fax: (843) 349-7573