2019 SACSCOC Reaffirmation
Horry-Georgetown Technical College’s accreditation is reaffirmed every 10 years by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). SACSCOC is a private, non-profit and voluntary organization founded in 1895 in Atlanta. For an institute to be accredited and reaffirmed, the College must demonstrate compliance with the SACSCOC Principles of Accreditation and prepare a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). Reaffirmation of accreditation by the Commission on Colleges involves review of compliance through an off-site peer review, an onsite review, and review by the Commission’s Board of Trustees.
Quality Enhancement Plan
As part of the reaffirmation process each institute must develop a Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). The QEP is a required component of the reaffirmation process which addresses a well-defined and focused topic or issue related to enhancing student learning. For more information on HGTC’s proposed 2018 QEP please visit the EPIC site.
Why is Accreditation Important?
Being accredited by the Commission on Colleges allows HGTC to demonstrate its commitment to quality education for its students. Benefits of accreditation include:
- Eligibility for federal financial aid, grants and other support.
- Allows for transferability of credits between HGTC and other institutions;
- Recognition from other colleges and universities.
HGTC Leadership Team
- Dr. Marilyn Murphy Fore, President
- Dr. Becky Boone, AVP for Institutional Support, SACSCOC Liaison
- Mr. Harold Hawley, VP for Finance and Administration, Cabinet Chair
- Dr. Melissa Batten, VP for Student Affairs
- Dr. Jennifer Wilbanks, VP for Academic Affairs
- Mrs. Lori Heafner, AVP for Institutional Planning, Research and Grants
Decennial Reaffirmation Timeline
|December 2016||Orientation Session for HGTC’s Leadership Team|
|January 2017 – February 2018||Writing Narrative and Collecting Supporting Documentation for Compliance Certification|
|March 1, 2018||Submit Compliance Certification|
|April 23-24, 2018||Off-Site Committee Meets|
|May 2018 – August 2018||Write Focused Report and QEP Report|
|May 22-23, 2018||SACSCOC Staff Advisory visit|
|August 15, 2018||Submit Focused Report and QEP|
|October 2 – 4, 2018||On-Site Committee Visit|
|November – January 2019||Prepare Response to On-Site Committee Findings|
|June 2019||Reaffirmation Decision|
For more information or questions about the SACSCOC Reaffirmation please contact:
Dr. Becky Boone, SACSCOC Accreditation Liaison
Phone: (843) 349-5274