Radiologic Technology STEPS Session
- January 15 for the next available summer semester.
To apply to the program students must:
1.) Complete the following prerequisites* with a 2.5 GPA or higher and C’s or above:
- BIO 210
- ENG 101
- MAT 110 or 120
- CPT 101 (5 yr. time limit)
General Education courses you may take while waiting:
- BIO 211
- SPC 205
- PSY 201
- Humanities of your choice**
*Prerequisites for the above courses may include: BIO 112 or 101, ENG 100, and MAT 101 with the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on placement test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission to the college
**Humanities: ART 101, ART 105, ART 108, ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 205, ENG 206, ENG 208, ENG 209, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 201, HIS 202, MUS 105, PHI 101, PHI 110, REL 103, THE 101.
2.) Attend an Information Session with the Department Chair
3.) Sign and submit the Medical Imaging Technical Standards Form
Weighted Values for the selection process
Previous Allied Health Experience Involving Patient Care: Documentation must accompany Radiologic Technology Application - Certification Required
|Established HGTC student with at least 12 or more semester hours (excluding developmental courses)||10 Points|
|Education and Academic Rigor: (maximum 20 points)
BIO210 _____ CPT101 _____ ENG101 _____ MAT120/110 _____
|A=5 points B-3 points C=1 point|
|Academic Rigor: (maximum 6 points) Number of Radiologic Technology general education courses completed|
|Placement Test Scores or Degree|
COMPASS; ≥Reading-87; Writing-80; Algebra-60
|Residency (as established by the College) Horry-Georgetown County In-State/Out-of-County|
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page.College acceptance and receipt of all official transcripts is mandatory.
- Applications must be submitted to the Admissions office on any campus by the application deadline to be considered. Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit The following requirements must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Radiologic Technology program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening – $106.00. This will be required each semester that you are in the program.
- Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Complete and pass the General Hospital Orientation.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Radiologic Technology program is limited and competitive. There is no guarantee of acceptance. Your grades are very important. Even though the minimum GPA requirement is 2.50 you should strive for a much higher GPA to be competitive.
- Expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: purchasing scrubs and shoes, gas and transportation to clinical sites, Licensing Exam fees of $200+.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will begin in the Summer and attend 6 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- Clinicals will vary by semester but may require 1-2 days a week. Students may have to travel up to a 50 mile radius to fulfill clinical requirements.
- Completion of a CNA or Phlebotomy certificate in the last two years will give you 3 extra points on your Rad Tech application. CNA may be obtained through HGTC’s Workforce Development Department. Phlebotomy is a 2 semester certificate which includes some of your prereqs for Rad Tech.
- Any documentation showing proof of experience in patient care or completion of CNA or Phlebotomy must be submitted with your application to the Admissions office on any campus.
- Placement test scores are an option for increasing points. If you do not have a degree the scores must be within the last 5 years. If you have not already done so you may want to take the COMPASS test to meet the required scores to increase your points. The Compass test is limited to two attempts per student so untilize the Compass Skills Center (sign up in Wavenet Central) and other prep resources to be sure to obtain the best score possible.
- HGTC reserves the right to change the Admission requirements at any time. You will be required to adhere to any changes that are made at the time you submit your application.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Radiologic Technology program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: