Physical Therapy Assistant Online Information Session
- May 15 for next available Fall semester
To apply to the program students must:
1.) Complete the following prerequisites* with a 2.5 GPA or higher and C’s or above:
- BIO 210 (5 yr. time limit)
- ENG 101
- PSY 201
- Humanities of your choice**
- MAT 110 or 120
General Education courses you may take while waiting:
- BIO 211 (5 yr. time limit)
- ENG 102
- CPT 101 (5 yr. time limit)
- SPC 205
*Prerequisites for the above courses may include: BIO 112 or 101, ENG 100, and MAT
101 with the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on
placement test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission
to the college
**Humanities: ART 101, ART 105, ART 108, ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 205, ENG 206, ENG 208, ENG 209, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 201, HIS 202, MUS 105, PHI 101, PHI 110, REL 103, THE 101
2.) Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills -TEAS V
The TEAS is a 4 hour computer-based test that covers Math, Reading, Writing, and Science. The test is offered at the Grand Strand campus on Saturdays from 9:00am-1:00pm in Bldg 1000. Room number may vary but it is usually in Room 160.
Click here to determine test fee and register for test date; scores are valid for 2 years. Students may retest every 3 months. Failure to wait three months to retest will cause new score to be invalid. Study guides are available in the campus bookstore, library, www.atitesting.com, and www.Amazon.com You may also Google TEAS for more information. Calculators are not permitted during testing. Results are available immediately.
3.) Attend an Information Session with PTA program director
4.) Submit to PTA Program Director proof of 20 hours of observation verified/signed by licensed PT or PTA.
The student is responsible for arranging the experience. Observations completed at sites other than the provided list are accepted but must include the name, address and phone number of the clinic as well as the contact information and license number for the PT or PTA who verified your observations. Completed form must be submitted to the Admissions office on any HGTC campus before the application deadline.
5.) May not be on academic or disciplinary suspension when application is due.
Weighted Values for the selection process
|Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS-V) test score (max points 5)||Points Earned|
|95.0 – 100||5|
|90.0 – 94.9||4|
|85.0 – 89.9||3|
|80.0 – 84.9||2|
|75.0 – 79.9||1|
|Education and Academic Rigor (Pre-requisite GPA): (max points 6) BIO210 ____ ENG101 ____ MAT110/120 ____ PSY201 ____ Humanities ____|
|3.75 – 4.00||6|
|3.50 – 3.74||5|
|3.25 – 3.49||4|
|3.00 – 3.24||3|
|2.75 – 2.99||2|
|2.51 – 2.74||1|
|Residency (as established by the College) in either Horry or Georgetown County||2|
|Established HGTC or CCU student - 12 hours (excluding developmental courses) in PTA core courses completed (BIO210, BIO211, CPT101, ENG101, ENG102, MAT110/120, PSY201, SPC205, Humanities). (max points 3)|
|3.0 or higher||3|
|2.75 – 2.99||2|
|2.51 – 2.74||1|
|2.50 or below||0|
|Total Maximum points allowed is 16|
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page. College acceptance and receipt of all official transcripts is mandatory.
- Applications must be submitted to the Admissions office on any campus by the application deadline to be considered. Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit.
The following requirements must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Physical Therapist Assistant program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening –cost will vary.
- Complete Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Complete and pass the General Hospital Orientation.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Physical Therapist Assistant program is limited and competitive. There is no guarantee of acceptance. Your grades and TEAS score are very important. Even though the minimum GPA requirement is 2.50 you should strive for a much higher GPA to be competitive.
- Other expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: purchasing scrubs and shoes, gas and transportation to clinical sites, Licensing Exam fees of $200 -$300.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will begin in the Fall and attend 4 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- Clinicals will vary by semester but may require 1-2 days a week. Students may have to travel up to a 50 mile radius to fulfill clinical requirements.
- Although not required and not used in your points calculations AHS 137 is a recommended course to take before entering the program.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Nursing program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: