Practical Nursing (LPN) STEPS Session
The Practical Nursing Diploma is a 3 semester program that begins every Summer semester (on the Grand Strand Campus) and every Fall semester (on the Georgetown Campus). Admission is based on weighted criteria.
- March 15 for the next available Summer and Fall semesters.
To apply to the program students have two options:
Option 1: Must have at least a 2.00 GPA (transfer grades included) after completing the following prerequisites* with a C or higher
- BIO 210
- BIO 211 (5 yr. time limit)
- ENG 101
- PSY 201
- MAT 155 (10 yr. time limit)
*Prerequisites for the above courses may include: BIO 112 or 101, and ENG 100 with
the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on placement
test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission to
Option 2: Taking the Test of Essential Academic Skills -TEAS V
This option is available to students who have not completed the 5 Nursing core courses but meet the following requirements:
- Student must be eligible for BIO210, ENG101, and MAT155.
- Have taken the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) with a minimum score of 60
- Have at least a 2.00 GPA (transfer grades included) within their Nursing core courses completed so far. (BIO and MAT time limits apply.)
The TEAS is a 4 hour computer-based test that covers Math, English, and Science. The
test is offered at the Grand Strand campus on Saturdays from 9:00am-1:00pm.
Click here to determine test fee and register for test date; scores are valid for 2 years. Students may retest every 3 months. Failure to wait three months to retest will cause new score to be invalid. Study guides are available in the campus bookstore, library, www.atitesting.com, and www.Amazon.com. Calculators are not permitted while testing.
Weighted Values for the selection process
|Option A||Option B|
|Composite TEAS Score of||Points Earned||Completed 9 Nursing core courses GPA||Points Earned|
|70.1 – 75.0||5||2.51-2.75 GPA||3|
|65.1 – 70.0||4||2.26-2.5 GPA||2|
|60.0 – 65.0||3||2.00-2.25 GPA||1|
|AHS 126 Health Calculations Course||AHS 126 Health Calculations Course|
|Grade of "A" (first attempt)||2||Grade of "A" (first attempt)||2|
|Grade of "B" (first attempt)||1||Grade of "B" (first attempt)||1|
|Completed at least 8 credit hours of the 5 Nursing core courses (BIO210, BIO211, BIO225, ENG101, ENG102, MAT110/120, PSY201, SPC205, and Humanities) from HGTC or CCU||2|
|Horry or Georgetown County Resident (as established by the College)||1||Horry or Georgetown County Resident (as established by the College)||1|
|Total Points||Total Points|
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page
- Applications must be submitted to the Admissions office on any campus by the application deadline be considered. Late, or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit.
The following requirements must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Nursing program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening – $106.00. This will be required each semester that you are in the program.
- Complete Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Complete and pass the General Hospital Orientation.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Nursing program is limited and competitive. There is no guarantee of acceptance. Your grades or TEAS score are very important. Even though the minimum GPA requirement is 2.00 you should strive for a much higher GPA to be competitive.
- AHS 126 is not a required course but will give extra points on your application. It
is highly recommended that you take this course before applying for the Nursing program.
Must have an A or B in the course to receive points.
Beginning September 1, 2015, the Nursing Department will only accept the First Attempt (excluding withdrawals) in Health Calculations (AHS 126) when reviewing program applications. Therefore if you are retaking AHS 126 to earn points on your Nursing application because you previously earned a B or lower, please note this second attempt will not count.
- Other expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: $500 deposit to reserve your seat, purchasing scrubs and shoes, gas and transportation to clinical sites, Licensing Exam fees of $200 -$300.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will attend 3 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- HGTC reserves the right to change the admission requirements for the program at any time. You will be required to adhere to any changes made at the time you submit your application.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Practical Nursing (LPN) program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: