Expanded Duty Dental Assisting Diploma STEPS Session
The Expanded Duty Dental Assisting Diploma is a 3 semester program that begins every Fall on the Grand Strand Campus. Admission is based on first qualified criteria and there may be a waiting list. Once you have completed the requirements for admission into the program you will be offered a seat for the next available semester.
There is no deadline. Completion of this STEPS session or meeting with an advisor and submitting a checklist showing your interest in the program will act as your application. These are accepted on an ongoing basis. We will then offer you a seat in the program once we see that all requirements have been completed. This is a first qualified, first accepted process.
To apply to the program students must:
1.) Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher and all of the courses listed here must have a grade of C or higher. While these courses are not required to be completed before admission you must be eligible to enroll in:
- ENG 155
- MAT 155
General Education courses you may also take while waiting
- PSY 103
- CPT 101
Prerequisites for the above courses may include: ENG 100 or MAT 032 with the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on placement test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission to the college.
3.) Complete 15 hours of observations in a private dental office. Instructions and information to complete the observations will be given to you when you submit proof of Information Session completion to the Dept. Chair.
4.) If you have more than two unsuccessful attempts in the general education courses
you must wait 5 years to apply for admission into the program.
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page.College acceptance and receipt of all official transcripts is mandatory.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit
The next 5 steps must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Expanded Duty Dental Assisting program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening – $106.00.
- Complete Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Attend a mandatory New Student Orientation held by the program.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Expanded Duty Dental Assisting program is first qualified, first accepted for the next available fall semester.
- Expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: purchasing scrubs and shoes, gas and transportation to clinical sites, Licensing Exam fees of $200+.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will begin in the Fall and attend 3 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- Clinicals will vary by semester but may require 1-2 days a week. Students may have to travel up to a 50 mile radius to fulfill clinical requirements.
- HGTC reserves the right to change the Admission requirements at any time. You will be required to adhere to any changes that are made at the time you submit your application.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Expanded Duty Dental Assisting program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: