Diagnostic Medical Sonography STEPS Session
- March 15 for next available Fall semester
To apply to the program students must:
1.) Complete the following prerequisites* with a 2.5 GPA or higher and C’s or above:
- BIO 210
- BIO 211 (5 yr. time limit)
- ENG 101
- PSY 201
- CPT 101 (5 yr. time limit)
- SPC 205
- PHY 118 – prereq of MAT 101
- AHS 102 or AHS 104
- AHS 110 - prereq of BIO 210 (AHS 110 is generally offered in summer only. Completion of AHS 141 or a certificate in Phlebotomy or CNA will substitute.)
- MAT 110 or 120
- Humanities of your choice**(effective May 16, 2014)
*Prerequisites for the above courses may include: BIO 112 or 101, ENG 100, and MAT 101 with the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on placement test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission to the college
**Humanities: ART 101, ART 105, ART 108, ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 205, ENG 206, ENG 208, ENG 209, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 201, HIS 202, MUS 105, PHI 101, PHI 110, REL 103, THE 101
2.) Attend an Information Session with the Department Chair
3.) Sign and submit the Medical Imaging Technical Standards Form
Weighted Values for the selection process
Previous Allied Health Experience Involving Patient Care:Certification Required
• 1 year or more of full-time work (32hrs/wk. equivalency) in a
Education and Academic Rigor: (maximum 50 points)
|A=5 points B-3 points C=1 point|
|Residency (as established by the College) Horry-Georgetown County In-State/Out-of-County|
|Previous College Performance|
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page.College acceptance and receipt of all official transcripts is mandatory.
- Applications must be submitted to the Admissions office on any campus by the application deadline to be considered. Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit The following requirements must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Radiologic Technology program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening – $106.00. This will be required each semester that you are in the program.
- Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Complete and pass the General Hospital Orientation.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is limited and competitive. There is no guarantee of acceptance. Your grades are very important. Even though the minimum GPA requirement is 2.50 you should strive for a much higher GPA to be competitive.
- Expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: purchasing scrubs and shoes, gas and transportation to clinical sites, Licensing Exam fees of $200+.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will begin in the Fall and attend 4 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- Clinicals will vary by semester but may require 1-2 days a week. Students may have to travel up to a 50 mile radius to fulfill clinical requirements.
- Completion of a CNA or Phlebotomy certificate in the last two years will give you 7 extra points on your DMS application. CNA may be obtained through HGTC’s Workforce Development program. Phlebotomy is a 2 semester certificate which includes some of your prereqs for DMS.
- Any documentation showing proof of experience in patient care or completion of CNA or Phlebotomy must be submitted with your application to the Admissions office on any campus.
- Beginning Jan. 1, 2015 you must have an Associate’s degree or higher to apply for certification. You may complete your Associate in Science with Health Science emphasis before your begin the Sonography program or complete a General Technology Degree combining Sonography and General Studies classes while you are in the Sonography program. You may also complete a different degree of your choice.
- HGTC reserves the right to change the Admission requirements at any time. You will be required to adhere to any changes that are made at the time you submit your application.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: