Dental Hygiene STEPS Session
- May 15 for the next available Fall semester.
To apply to the program students must:1.) Complete the following prerequisites* with a 2.75 GPA or higher and C’s or above:
- BIO 210
- ENG 101
- CHM 105/110
- CPT 101 (5 yr. time limit)
General Education courses you may take while waiting:
- BIO 211 (5 yr. time limit)
- BIO 225 (5 yr. time limit)
- SPC 205
- PSY 201
- Humanities of your choice**
- SOC 101
- MAT 101
*Prerequisites for the above courses may include: BIO 112 or 101, ENG 100, and MAT 032 with the possibility of other developmental courses being required depending on placement test scores. Enrollment advisors will discuss placement with you after admission to the college
**Humanities: ART 101, ART 105, ART 108, ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 205, ENG 206, ENG 208, ENG 209, HIS 101, HIS 102, HIS 201, HIS 202, MUS 105, PHI 101, PHI 110, REL 103, THE 101
3.) Complete 10 hours of observations – 5 in a private dental office and 5 in the HGTC Dental Clinic. Instructions and information to complete the observations will be given to you when you submit proof of Information Session completion to the Dept. Chair.
4.) If you have more than two unsuccessful attempts in the general education and prerequisite courses you must wait 5 years to apply for admission into the program.
Weighted Values for the selection process
|Previous Dental Experience:
Academic Performance on Prerequisite Courses, 1st attempt: (maximum 20 points)
Bio 210 ___ CHM 105/110 ____ CPT 101 _____ ENG 101 ____
|A = 5 points
B = 3 points
C = 1 point
|Academic Rigor: (maximum = 7 points)|
|Number of Dental Hygiene general education courses completed above Pre-req courses|
|2.75-2.99||3.0 pts.||3.5 pts.||4.0 pts.||4.5 pts.||5.0 pts.||5.5 pts.||6.0 pts.|
|3.00-3.50||3.5 pts.||4.0 pts.||4.5 pts.||5.0 pts.||5.5 pts.||6.0 pts.||6.5 pts.|
|3.51-4.00||4.0 pts.||4.5 pts.||5.0 pts.||5.5 pts.||6.0 pts.||6.5 pts.||7.0 pts.|
|Placement test scores or degree:|
COMPASS:Reading—87; Writing—80; Algebra—46 OR
ACT: Reading—19; English—19; Math—21 OR
Bachelor's degree or higher
Horry or Georgetown county Resident(as established by the college)
Total Points:(Maximum 34 Points)
- Be sure to complete steps 1 –4 on the Health Science page.College acceptance and receipt of all official transcripts is mandatory.
- Applications must be submitted to the Admissions office on any campus by the application deadline to be considered. Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- If you have not already done so read and sign the Additional Admission/Placement Requirements Affidavit
The next 5 steps must be completed AFTER being accepted into the Dental Hygiene Technology program. We will provide you with the instructions to complete the requirements AFTER we notify you of acceptance into the program but PLAN AHEAD to cover the costs of these items. Without completion of these requirements you will not be allowed to begin the program.
- Pass Certified Background Check and Drug Screening –cost will vary.
- Complete Health Physical and submit proof of required immunizations. (Physical may cost $200+ so plan ahead financially.)
- Show proof of current Health Care Providers CPR certification. HGTC offers this certification course through the Workforce Development Department.
- Attend a mandatory New Student Orientation held by the program.
- Submit $500 deposit to reserve your seat.
- Acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Technology program is limited and competitive. There is no guarantee of acceptance. Your grades are very important. Even though the minimum GPA requirement is 2.75 you should strive for a much higher GPA to be competitive.
- Expenses for which you are responsible may include, but are not limited to: purchasing scrubs and shoes,instrument costs of approximately $1800.00 and Licensing Exam fees of $1400+.
- Classes and clinicals associated with this program are during the day. Once accepted you will begin in the Fall and attend 5 semesters, year round, including summer. Please plan ahead financially as you may not receive financial aid for the summer.
- Clinicals will vary by semester but may require 1-2 days a week. All clinicals for the Dental Hygiene program are on site at the SPEIR Dental Annex located on the Grand Strand Campus.
- Working in a Dental office or completing Horry Georgetown Tech’s Expanded Duty Dental Assisting Program and receiving your certification will give you extra points on your application.
- Any documentation showing proof of work in a Dental office or completion of Expanded Duty Dental Assisting must be submitted with your application to the Admissions office on any campus.
- Placement test scores are an option for increasing points. If you do not have a degree the scores must be within the last 5 years. You may want to take the COMPASS test to meet the required scores to increase your points.
I have read the requirements for admission into the Dental Hygiene Technology program at Horry Georgetown Technical College and I understand that I must fulfill these requirements in order to be eligible for admission: