Medical Coding and Billing - Certificate
The Medical Coding and Billing certificate prepares students for rewarding career opportunities in the fields of Health Information Management and Healthcare Professional Services. Because medicine is not always an exact science, codes were developed to identify all reasons for seeking healthcare. The code numbers are detailed in order to accurately describe the diagnoses and the procedures performed to test or correct these diagnoses. Students in HGTC's Medical Coding and Billing certificate program receive in-depth instruction on medical record coding and billing practices in the professional, facility, and payer healthcare industry. Hands-on coding practice takes place in classroom/lab settings and healthcare facilities. Courses are available online and on-site.
For more information contact:
Ann Daniels (843) 477-2168
Credit Requirements: 39 semester credit hours | See Program Requirements»
Medical coding involves transforming descriptions of diseases, injuries, and healthcare procedures into code numbers. Coding health-related data allows health records to be accessed according to diagnoses and procedures for use in clinical care, research, and education. Common uses of medical codes in healthcare include:
- Reporting services performed for reimbursement.
- Identifying symptoms that must be evaluated.
- Helping with administrative functions, such as staffing, scheduling, and adding or decreasing healthcare services.
- Comparing facilities and planning for new services in underserved areas.
Medical coders and billers can find employment opportunities in the following settings:
- Physician offices
- Outpatient care centers
- Nursing care facilities
For more information about careers, visit O*Net Online for an overview of South Carolina and National earnings statistics, and Horry Georgetown Technical College's Career Resource Center for more employment, career, and professional development resources.For more information about gainful employment, visit: http://www.hgtc.edu/righttoknow.
Employers of HGTC Alumni Include:
- Doctor's Care
- Practice Management Group
- Georgetown/Waccamaw Hospital
- Waccamaw Gastroenterology
- Vaught Eye Associates
- Management Services Network
- Reliable Durable Medical Equipment
- Indigo Rehab Therapy
- South Strand Internist
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield – Tricare at Surfside
- HGTC HIM Department